Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Service Engine soon Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 07:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Service Engine soon Light

Hey guys, so today my check engine light came on while I was driving through some deep snow. I popped the hood and nothing was really wet, so I don't think water got into anything. Although a couple of days ago I hit a snow drift and managed to pack the engine compartment full of snow and things did get wet.

I also noticed that for a couple of days it has been running just a tad rough, (nothing super noticeable) and hesitates a little when the throttle is applied; but since the light came on I went to start it cold and it actually had a hard time starting up, which it has never done before.

So my guess is that it is a misfire because of a faulty coil, but if I remember correctly the owner's manual states that the service engine soon light will blink to indicate a misfire. So does that sound right? A faulty coil or plug?

Also, will driving the truck hurt it? I want to drive it to an Autozone or Advance Auto and have them scan it but both places are 15 miles or so away. I'd also like to drive it to school tomorrow.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:14 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi Buddy and Happy New Year! Jan 4th and truck troubles begin, not a welcomed sign. I would assume all the above mentioned things are the snow related issues. This is a COP engine or is it external coils? Remember misfires are slow to thro a code.

Your should be OK to drive vehicle around town to get tests done, a void high speed driving.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM

Thanks! Happy new year to you to! It is a COP engine, it has coils on each plug. I'm new to these modular engines so this is a little new to me, my last vehicle being a '78 F-150.

The reason I'm asking about the driving is that I live out in the country in a small little town and to get to a parts place means a 15 or so min drive at 55 mph, or more depending on where I go. I don't want to damage anything by driving it too much with a misfire, if thats what the problem is.

I was just on vacation for 2 weeks, I wished it had happened then instead of now that I have to get back into my daily routine.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:19 PM

Anybody else out there? I need to know by tomorrow if I should risk the drive.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I say drive it and get it checked soon.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 PM

I just went through the same thing. I picked up some good info here. I have COP or "coil over plug". My symptoms sound like yours. Ran a little rough. Get your code checked to make sure. I did drive it to get it there.

My code came back "Cylinder 6-misfire"...code read for free at "Advanced Auto". I just turned 100k and I decided to replace all plugs, might as well. Took off all COP's, replaced plugs and found some of the boots were corroded and had arching burns. Changed all the boots on the COP's and used grease at the spring and over the plug...everything was fine...A week later engine light comes back on...back to "Advanced Auto" and "6 misfire" again. Swapped out COP (64 dollars, motorcraft) and everything has been fine since.

I keep an extra COP on hand, because down the road I'm gonna need it. Not cheap swapping out all 8 at once.

Last edited by The Riddler; 01-04-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by The Riddler
I just went through the same thing. I picked up some good info here. I have COP or "coil over plug". My symptoms sound like yours. Ran a little rough. Get your code checked to make sure.

My code came back "Cylinder 6-misfire"...code read for free at "Advanced Auto". I just turned 100k and I decided to replace all plugs, might as well. Took off all COP's, replaced plugs and found some of the boots were corroded and had arching burns. Changed all the boots on the COP's and used grease at the spring and over the plug...everything was fine...A week later engine light comes back on...back to "Advanced Auto" and "6 misfire" again. Swapped out COP (64 dollars, motorcraft) and everything has been fine since.

I keep an extra COP on hand, because down the road I'm gonna need it. Not cheap swapping out all 8 at once.
Yep, I learned everything I know about the Coil on Plug on here too, thats why I had a suspicion as to what it was.

What I think I'm going to do tomorrow is drive the truck to school, 2 miles from home, and afterwards I'll go straight to advance and have them scan it. If it turns out to be a COP I'll have to manage to pony up the cash and buy one, and I'll replace it in the parking lot. I'd hate to damage the motor by driving it around with a misfire.

Thanks for the help guys, problems with my vehicles always freak me out.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:49 PM

Remember if you are replacing the plugs, GET FORD MOTORCRAFT PLUGS!!! Tritons usually don't care for aftermarket plugs.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 PM

Ok, thanks I didn't know that. Just curious though, how come?
Old 01-05-2010, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by kookookachew
Yep, I learned everything I know about the Coil on Plug on here too, thats why I had a suspicion as to what it was.

What I think I'm going to do tomorrow is drive the truck to school, 2 miles from home, and afterwards I'll go straight to advance and have them scan it. If it turns out to be a COP I'll have to manage to pony up the cash and buy one, and I'll replace it in the parking lot. I'd hate to damage the motor by driving it around with a misfire.

Thanks for the help guys, problems with my vehicles always freak me out.
My "Advanced Auto" gave me the best price for Motor Craft COP's. Everywhere else I went was 90-150 dollars for a Motor Craft plug. It did take a couple of days for AA to get it though.

Quick Reply: Service Engine soon Light