Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Selectable High Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Street Queen in the Mud

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Selectable High Idle

Between the winch and the 1kw inverter, my truck has some pretty hefty electrical draws which happen at idle. I'd like to put in a system to high idle.

I know you can do this with a tuner, but my superchips doesn't have that feature, and I'm not looking to buy a new one for just for it.

I'm looking to move my idle up to somewhere in the 1800 range, but only at the flip of a switch, I want my normal idle to remain somewhere around 700, where it is.

Anyone know how to do this? What signal wire to modify? Is there some other option I'm missing?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:16 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I am also interested in this. I would say it would be best to do it manually and not with a switch. On my department's trucks we have a **** we turn for when you use the pump and other equipment. It would be probably easy to do. Just attach a cable to the throttle and then run it to a turn able **** on the dash somewhere.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:13 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Best way to do this is put on a pull cable assembly. A PTO type (with locking ****) cable would work great. You pull it out to set it where you want it and turn the **** to lock the speed you want to set it at. Simple, yet quite effective.

I don't know of a way to set a 2 step idle, other than the cable way or possibly using a stepper solenoid (gas engine carb style solenoid) to put the idle up. You could hook a switch to that and make it work easily. Hope those help.

Quick Reply: Selectable High Idle