Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Running rough missing. Ran codes help

Old 06-04-2013, 05:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Running rough missing. Ran codes help

Po174
Po316
Po305
Are the codes have been running e20 last few months. Got to town used a fuel system cleaner and filled up on regular fuel. Has been raining lately shop told me my coils are wet and they would need to replace them. Is there anything I could do myself? They said coils are 100 a piece. Can I fix the ones I have?? Im pretty mechanically inclined so any help would be great! Thanks in advance
Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 PM

It's an 02 f150 screw fx4 5.4l
Old 06-04-2013, 05:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You likely can't repair your coils but if you can unplug a connector and turn a socket you can change your coil packs.

They are anywhere from 40-80 online, you don't need any sort of high performance coils at all.
The following users liked this post:
colevig (06-06-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 06:02 PM
A7X

Received 74 Likes on 62 Posts

Replace the cylinder#5 coil, (closest to the radiator on the drivers side)... this will probably fix all three codes...

The motorcraft coils will run about $80 from the dealer, other brands around $40-$60 from the parts stores... Idk where your mechanic is getting their coils...

Don't open the new coil yet!

You may get away with just changing the boot, (cheaper) although I usually would just replace the whole assembly...

You'll probably have to remove the bracket for the power steering reservoir (no big deal) then unplug the coil harness, (1)7mm bolt in the coil, inspect coil and boot, if there are carbon marks on the boot just the boot may be bad, clean plug well of all debris and moisture, replace in reverse order... if the truck has been misfiring for quite some time you may want to pull the plug and inspect it as well...
colevig (06-06-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 08:13 PM

What do you mean in reverse? Thanks this helps a lot
Old 06-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Nvm I misread that no questions thanks
Old 06-04-2013, 08:26 PM

So what should I do I live ten min from napa. Should I pull it apart and check stuff out just buy a boot or buy the coil
Old 06-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

I would take out the coil and clean it up. Also clean up the plug socket and make sure it is dried out. Then swap the coil with the coil from another cylinder. When you put them back together, use di-electric grease on the connections to make sure you are getting a good electrical connections. Di-electric grease (Permetex brand) is available at Autozone or other stores for about $4 and I recommend it for all your electrical connections.

If your coil shows up bad on another cylinder with a P30? code, then you know you need to change it. Motorcraft is a good choice.

If you are fixing this kinda problem for a living you want to get it fixed because your customer does not want to pay you for doing component repairs that might not get repaired. They also don't want you coming back to complain about a problem that you fixed. Therefore, they take the low risk approach and just go ahead and change the part, bill you for it, and send you on your way. If you are willing to DIY, you can experiment and possible save yourself some money. If it doesn't work, you might be mad at yourself but you won't have to face an angry customer who won't understand that you were trying to save him money.
colevig (06-06-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 09:52 PM

So swap coils and if it doesn't fix the problem but a new one?
Old 06-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by colevig
So swap coils and if it doesn't fix the problem but a new one?
Yes. Make sure you clean everything up on the coils and the plugs before you do the swap. If you swap and find you still have a misfire on the same cylinder, you will know that it is not a coil but a problem in that cylinder. Most likely either a loose plug or a bad electrical connection from dirt, oil, or water.
colevig (06-06-2013)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Running rough missing. Ran codes help