Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

running rough

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default running rough

Hello once again, Now i just had a reman engine put in 4000 miles ago. i noticed the other day that when the truck was under load as in an forward or reverse it would act like it was miss firing. Scanned for codes nothing but a evap code that i knew was there and has been running fine even after engine change. I also noticed the idler pulley was locked up so changed that and still same problem. When in park or neutral it runs just fine but driving at low rpm it hesitates, im not sure what is going on with this truck and almost tired or putting money into it. Any in put would be amazing. thanks.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:58 PM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Greenmachine99
Hello once again, Now i just had a reman engine put in 4000 miles ago. i noticed the other day that when the truck was under load as in an forward or reverse it would act like it was miss firing. Scanned for codes nothing but a evap code that i knew was there and has been running fine even after engine change. I also noticed the idler pulley was locked up so changed that and still same problem. When in park or neutral it runs just fine but driving at low rpm it hesitates, im not sure what is going on with this truck and almost tired or putting money into it. Any in put would be amazing. thanks.
What engine? What year? How many miles does the new motor have on it? What was all replaced when the new motor was dropped in?

Reply back with an extremely detailed message of all the information about your truck and I'll see if I can help you.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:28 PM

lord my bad sry been a long day. truck is a 99 with 5.4 everything off old engine was transfered over except plugs and plug boots. the new motor has between 4-6000 miles on it. when it started acting up i threw my scanner on it and had no new codes but the P1451 for the EVAP vent control solenoid that was on when i bought the truck early this year. and that didn't affect the way the new or old motor ran at all.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:12 PM

Received 1,354 Likes on 1,071 Posts

lord my bad sry been a long day. truck is a 99 with 5.4 everything off old engine was transfered over except plugs and plug boots. the new motor has between 4-6000 miles on it. when it started acting up i threw my scanner on it and had no new codes but the P1451 for the EVAP vent control solenoid that was on when i bought the truck early this year. and that didn't affect the way the new or old motor ran at all.
I'm thinking you actually have a misfire. I can never feel a misfire until I have mine in gear. Can your scanner read mode 6 data.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:13 AM

no it cant so i took it to a family friend who owns a shop and hes charging me only 35 to check it out. just didn't know if anyone on here has had the same problem. i just think its funny that when not in gear it runs without a hitch but as soon as it goes into gear it acts up and runs and sounds like it has a big cam.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

no it cant so i took it to a family friend who owns a shop and hes charging me only 35 to check it out. just didn't know if anyone on here has had the same problem. i just think its funny that when not in gear it runs without a hitch but as soon as it goes into gear it acts up and runs and sounds like it has a big cam.
I've seen COP do a lot of strange things. One thing that most all of them do is hesitate or shutter when the torque converter locks up in 4th gear, which is about 40-45 mph. That's when I've found its most noticeable.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:32 AM

I have heard of them doing that as well but what is also weird is that it hesitated at low speed and cleaned up at high speed.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:19 AM

I have heard of them doing that as well but what is also weird is that it hesitated at low speed and cleaned up at high speed.
Might just have a low level miss. Let us know what the shop finds out.
Old 08-23-2016, 05:56 PM

ok well word from the shop, its the cylinder 8 coil that was taking a junk on me thank god easy fix now just to save some money and get the rest of them done as well so won't have to worry about it for a while. Thanks for all the info and help guys.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:25 PM

ok well word from the shop, its the cylinder 8 coil that was taking a junk on me thank god easy fix now just to save some money and get the rest of them done as well so won't have to worry about it for a while. Thanks for all the info and help guys.
Looks into Visteon coils. The are rebranded ford coils for about half the price.

Quick Reply: running rough