Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

rough idle, after warm

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 10:28 AM
al, canon city, co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough idle, after warm

4/5/17. rough idle, after warm. Starts great, good initial idle, 800 rpm. Runs great until warm, idle drops to 600 rpm, progressively gets more rough, but does not die. Shut off for a few minutes and process starts over. Pulls code P0001, fuel volume regulator, control circuit/open. Services completed to date: New spark plugs, coils. New IAC. Throttle body cleaned, new sensor. Cleaned Mass Air Flow Sensor, new air filter. All vacuum hoses verified. PCM wiped clean, restarted with correct procedure.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:11 AM
No longer stuck in 2003

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by alballard
4/5/17. rough idle, after warm. Starts great, good initial idle, 800 rpm. Runs great until warm, idle drops to 600 rpm, progressively gets more rough, but does not die. Shut off for a few minutes and process starts over. Pulls code P0001, fuel volume regulator, control circuit/open. Services completed to date: New spark plugs, coils. New IAC. Throttle body cleaned, new sensor. Cleaned Mass Air Flow Sensor, new air filter. All vacuum hoses verified. PCM wiped clean, restarted with correct procedure.
I'd start with fuel pressure and when was the last time you replaced the fuel filter?
The following users liked this post:
alballard (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 11:22 AM
al, canon city, co

Dah, earth to Al, thanks, I will replace fuel filter and test pressure. As usual life is made up of getting support, much appreciated, back with a post and results... :-)
Old 04-05-2017, 12:01 PM
No longer stuck in 2003

Where did you get the TPS? I had problems with the dorman sensor from autozone on my Ranger similar as well. If you cheaped out that might be contributing but I'd start with the fuel stuff.

Last edited by Aragorn; 04-05-2017 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:34 PM
al, canon city, co

understood, o reilly, medium priced unit and connector tested out. the starting, operating is perfect until it warms up, then rough idle and code P0001, fuel volume regulator, control circuit/open shows up, all of a sudden. shutting vehicle off and restarting begins another cycle, good to rough... :-( i am pursuing the fuel filter replacement as recommended, back with you later today or tomorrow, with results.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:11 PM
al, canon city, co

Aragorn, :-( No change in rough idle, after clearing the pcm, warming up and driving to reset computer... bummer. changing the fuel filter (interesting experiment in getting to it, as this is a 4x4 and it had a skid plate which had to be removed, the filter had to be out of the holder on the frame to use the tool for the front side of the filter and there is very little room due to factory sheet metal protecting it.) Going to run fuel down and run a can of sea foam/cleaner through it and if that doesn't work I will begin electric testings of all sensors. Any other suggestions?
Old 04-06-2017, 05:33 PM
No longer stuck in 2003

We'll need a little more detail on your truck to troubleshoot further:
year
engine

I'd definitely check the fuel pressure and invest in something like the BAFX bluetooth scanner to get a little more detail from the engine.

From what I'm finding it's not a common code but there are some sensors in the fuel array that could be causing the code maybe.
Old 04-07-2017, 08:29 AM
al, canon city, co

thanks, no problem, 1997 ford f150, xlt, 4x4, triton 5.4L V8, auto, 140,000 miles. getting further scan this a.m., good suggestion.
runs much worse with new fuel filter, leading to believe fuel pump is weak. P0001 is a fuel sensor error, fuel volume regulator/control circuit/open; maybe a fuel tank sensor problem. only issue, no one believes a sensor would cause issue, most believe fuel pump. will take pressure test also. back with you.
Old 04-07-2017, 02:44 PM
al, canon city, co

iac valve vac hose to air intake; no leak until it warms up, then leaks. replacing tomorrow, idles smooth with spray of disc brake fluid, hopefully it is the answer.
the rubber is smooth when cold, becomes coarse with heat and draws air... :-)
thanks
Old 02-24-2024, 09:25 PM

Originally Posted by alballard
iac valve vac hose to air intake; no leak until it warms up, then leaks. replacing tomorrow, idles smooth with spray of disc brake fluid, hopefully it is the answer.
the rubber is smooth when cold, becomes coarse with heat and draws air... :-)
thanks

I have a 2005 f150 4.6L. 4x4. Runs rough. When I go to take off I have to lightly feather the throttle in first gear to slowly get going and once I get it above about 1,200 RPMs it will start to drive more normal. But have to shift it manually (automatic transmission). When I try to back up the whole truck shakes vigorously and if there’s a slight incline, it almost won’t back up. I’m wondering what you figured out and if you got yours fixed? I have replaced spark plugs, coil packs, injectors, mass airflow sensor, throttle position sensor, fuel filter, all O2 sensors, and also did a carbon clean and a compression test. I am going to replace the fuel pump tomorrow.

Quick Reply: rough idle, after warm