Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Refabbing back seat (S-cab) to wall mout amplifiers

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

Default Refabbing back seat (S-cab) to wall mout amplifiers

After tons and tons of measurements I decided to try to fit my two Rockford Amps behind the seat. Please not these amps are only 2.25" tall and not many amps are compatible for this installation. (especially ones with bad heat sink designs)

I looked over my truck a 100% times for good placement of these and the only two locations I found were under the seats(front) or behind the rear back rest. For the true hide-a-way look I decided to use the behind the rear back rest location. The amps I used for the install are Rockford Fosgate Power Series T600, and T1500.

Here are some issues you will have to over come. The first is the slide mounting bracket for holding the seat back.

Their are two of these, one on each side of the truck. Approx ~34inches apart. So I knew my two amplifiers dimensions 15in and 13in. and saw I could manage to squeeze them in.

The next problem was all the steel wire caging that supported the seat /foam.

Since the amps will be fitting in between the mounting brackets, all I needed to do was clear out some of the steel caging from the middle and resupport the mounting bracket piece for a safe solid reinstall. So I pulled out the dremel/recip saw and a welder for the next step.

This is the piece i cut out.

BEFORE WELDING TAKE THE FOAM OFF THE STEEL AND PUT SOMETHIGN THAT WONT BURN UNDER IT!!
I used a mig welder and some .5inch strips of steel. See pics for placement(you want the supports as close to the mounting brackets as possible to give room for the amps).

With all this done we have the following space. width-34in, depth ~11-12in, width- ~3in.

Now that I had the specs, I could develope a simple frame to hold the amps. I used a piece of .5 inch plywood. It was the proper thickness to hold the amps securely but is think enough to make the install still work. .75inch is too thick, so I wouldn't suggest MDF for this part of the install. *Please note* that if you try to mount the amp bracket to the back of the cab(i.e. put screws through the wood piece directly into the back of the cab) and not the support beam you will drill right through the cab into the truck bed. USE THE SUPPORT BEAM to secure the mounting palette. I used two L brackets, which I bent, to match the contour of the support beam. ~ 120degree. Then secured the plywood via .5inch self tapping screws. It is also a good idea to Velcro or use some thin rubber window sealer to go on the back so that the plywood doesn't rattle against the cab or move unwantedly.

Continued in next thread. Ill post a link later.
The following users liked this post:
ultimatenoobie (01-07-2024)
Old 04-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Received 523 Likes on 386 Posts

It's a bit of work for such an easy install, but is effective at hiding and protecting the amps. Let me know if you have questions or suggestions.
The following users liked this post:
ultimatenoobie (01-07-2024)

Quick Reply: Refabbing back seat (S-cab) to wall mout amplifiers