Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Recommended Trailer Brake Controllers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Trailer Brake Controllers?

Okay, so we're looking to get an older travel trailer. Like... say, a 70's era Prowler. No more than 20ft long.

My 1997 SCrew has the 3.55 gears. 4x4 and the 4.6L. It's also up on 35" tires. Tow package with the 4-prong is stock, and I'm adding the 7-prong.

And just to keep things concise, I already know that there are better setups for towing. But this is the one I've got and it serves us best for what we could afford and all the non-travel-trailer-towing things we do with it. My setup is rated for 6600 lbs, and most of the trailers I've looked at so far weigh like 3300 lbs.

We won't be towing the trailer very often - just a camping trip here, a weekend family visit there, etc. And nowhere too serious, like up a Forest Service trail or anything like that.

So with all that in mind, what trailer brake controllers would folks recommend? I'm leaning toward the Reese Towpower 74643 because it's cheap and gets good reviews. On the other hand, I'm wondering if I should go with a proportional controller. OR, I'm even open to the idea to look for a smaller trailer that doesn't even have its own brakes. As long as it sleeps 4, I don't care.

So hey, what do you say?

Last edited by PapaHepcat; 08-03-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:26 PM
SANDHUNTER

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have ran the teconsha voyager in my last 2 trucks and I really like it. I paid $60 for it on ebay, brand new.

Quick Reply: Recommended Trailer Brake Controllers?