Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Recommendations on Ford 4.2L

Old 01-14-2019, 12:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Recommendations on Ford 4.2L

Hi, I drive a 4.2 tenth gen f150, now my question is, now a mechanic i know that when ever the truck needs past basic service like oil changes, he has over 30 years of experience as a automotive mechanic, now he said, not to put full synthethic in the motor, because in a case he had, a car that was probably a pushrod car, the vehicle had oil but the full synthetic was gelled in the pan, when he dropped the oil pan bolts on the car the oil had gelled in the pan and he said the car had full synthetic, so he said not to use it. I use conventional but I was wondering, since the 4.2 doesn't have a lot of power, I think its the 2nd lowest hp out of any modern pickup full-size besides the previous generation 4.9 inline 6. Now he said, full synthetic isn't to be trusted but is it ok to use if your towing, with the truck, in city and highway up to the max rpm, which it shifts around 5000, will full synthetic protect the motor in high rpm? and in high load? Reason I ask not only because of mechanic's saying , but going up a hill on interstate with the speed limit going from 60 to 70 mph and resuming cruise control, without a load on bed or trailer to pull the cruise control box pulled the throttle till its revving in 2nd gear trying to get to 70 mph as previously set by the cruise control. And was wondering will full synthetic protec engine from destruction in high rpms? The engine ha 149,000 miles. I ask because a new engine block would be over 2,000 dollar plus labor and I dont want to have to destroy it, with it being a pushrod. Also this is engine is made in 99 after the headgasket problem that was in the 97 and 98 models.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:25 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

ford recommends 5w20 for this engine. but if you are going to be running high rpm's towing, than go 5w30. the 5w20 thins out more when hot compared to the 5w30. and running high rpm's will get the oil hot quicker
Old 01-14-2019, 01:32 PM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

Ummm... couple of things here- std. trans.?- because, imo, 70 mph in 2nd gear and shifting at 5k is leading to eminent destruction. If its an automatic, if it was me, id be going to a trans shop.
That said, 5w-20 is recommended, as Darrin said, 5w-30 will work, however, there is conventional wisdom that says 5w-30 is slow to take up tensioner slack on start up, and exacerbates timing chain wear and chain slap. Its your call, and conventional oils will be fine.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ki

Originally Posted by rcairbear
Ummm... couple of things here- std. trans.?- because, imo, 70 mph in 2nd gear and shifting at 5k is leading to eminent destruction. If its an automatic, if it was me, id be going to a trans shop.
That said, 5w-20 is recommended, as Darrin said, 5w-30 will work, however, there is conventional wisdom that says 5w-30 is slow to take up tensioner slack on start up, and exacerbates timing chain wear and chain slap. Its your call, and conventional oils will be fine.
its a 4r70w and going up the bridge unloaded cc control pulls throttle till the auto downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear when resuming cruise control when going up bridge and i dont do this often at all but it shifts around 4800 maybe 4900 from 2nd to 3rd gear but I dont go that fast to do wot at 2nd to 3rd. IM just wondering is full synthetic good or bad for towing heavy.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:13 AM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

I dont believe it would matter- i just wouldnt mix the two- ( dont add a qt. of conventional to a motor full of synthetic, and vice-versa)- the general observation, and this is by no means a proven fact, is that if you put synthetic in an older motor with high miles, it will tend to cause external leakage. Supposedly synthetic oil properties are such that it can find its way through any microscopic crevice- ( but, its claimed that this is why synthetic is a better alternative ) sooo... these thoughts and a 1.00 will get you a coffee!
Fwiw- i run conventional-(5.4 with 157,000 mi.)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:56 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

don't mix conventional and synthetic oils together

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Recommendations on Ford 4.2L