Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Putting Christmas lights on truck

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Putting Christmas lights on truck

So I wanna put a set of Christmas lights on my front Westin Bull bar... Before children I used to think it was gay, but my 4 yr old would think its really cool (how things change after you have children, lol).
Anyway, Why cant I string the lights how i want them, then simply run the male plug through my grill toward my battery, cut the plug off and wire it into a toggle switch (that i would leave sticking out just far enough to turn on and off from outside front of truck), then run to wires to my positive and negative battery terminals?
I cant think of many other ways ot do it. I do have a little 350w power inverter, so Icould just use a small extension cord through my engine bay and bring the male plug into my cab and plug them into the power inverter (that would plug into my cigarette lighter), but Id rather do the first way if you all think that would work....
Secondly, I know LEDs take 90% less power, but I already have regular christmas light (non LED) but as long as the truck was running, that shouldnt kill my battery right?
Thanks

Last edited by racefan15; 12-05-2010 at 09:56 PM. Reason: added pics
Old 12-01-2010, 04:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Google "alternating current vs. direct current"

Use the power inverter, it'll make things much simpler.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well u can hook them lights directly too ur battery but i promise they wont work more than a second or two lol. Dc current is what ur car is has bout 10 times the amps of the AC current which is what is in ur house and those light run off of. there are a few other diffrences from DC and AC. so the simplest way is too use ur power inverter.

if u have the time i would recemend googling as the post above suggests and read up on the two diffrent currents so u understand them better. no kind of knowledge is wasted.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Señor Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

x3 on the pwr inverter. be sure to post pics, I want to see how this turns out!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Kill em all

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The make 12v Christmas light for vehicles, parts store carry them.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pictures please...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:30 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

GO FOR IT! We bought some battery powered strings of lights a couple years ago and wrapped em around the CB antennas on my truck. I pulled a little league baseball team in a christmas parade is why lol, but yea, the little kids just thought it was the coolest thing
Old 12-01-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by racefan15
So I wanna put a set of Christmas lights on my front Westin Bull bar... Before children I used to think it was gay, but my 4 yr old would think its really cool (how things change after you have children, lol).
Anyway, Why cant I string the lights how i want them, then simply run the male plug through my grill toward my battery, cut the plug off and wire it into a toggle switch (that i would leave sticking out just far enough to turn on and off from outside front of truck), then run to wires to my positive and negative battery terminals?
I cant think of many other ways ot do it. I do have a little 350w power inverter, so Icould just use a small extension cord through my engine bay and bring the male plug into my cab and plug them into the power inverter (that would plug into my cigarette lighter), but Id rather do the first way if you all think that would work....
Secondly, I know LEDs take 90% less power, but I already have regular christmas light (non LED) but as long as the truck was running, that shouldnt kill my battery right?
Thanks
Go for it man! As long as you keep the truck running while there on the alternator will keep your battery charged, just keep the truck running while there on.ost some pics once you do it.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:45 PM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I would love to find a auto store that carries these lights.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow I cant believe I didnt think about the AC-DC thing... I guess power inverter it is, but I will check my local auto stores to see if I can find some DC lights.
Thanks for suggestions and Ill put up some pics when I get her done. Hopefully over weekend.

Quick Reply: Putting Christmas lights on truck