Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Pricing custom trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2016, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pricing custom trucks

So I recently paid off 2002 Xlt fx4 (that I purchased from a family member), and I love the attention I get from driving it only being 19 years old, however I am going to college full time and have been working 45-50 hours a week on top of school to pay it off and afford gas with general maintenance, It just seems unrealistic in the long haul. Long story short I am just weighing my option of selling it and buying something like a mustang GT outright. I already checked insurance rates for the GT and it seems to be just about the same as my truck if not lower but that was just an estimate. If you guys could lend me a little bit of advice on maybe how much my truck would be worth I would appreciate it; I live near Omaha, NE so used 4x4 trucks are always in demand.
Main selling points:
5.4 triton
Ported and polished ceramic coated headers
Cat delete and a muffler with no muffler plates (technically straight piped but its quiet at idle and loud revving it)
K&N cold air intake (spare me the gott's mod schpeel lol)
electric fans
Sct X4 Programmer
6" in rough country lift
35" nitto trail grapplers with 17" american racing rims
trim all matches body color, black grill, all rear axle is painted black, looks VERY CLEAN (will include pictures)
On the interior it has a touch screen hd double din head unit with a 12" alpine type R that has a custom sub box to fit under rear seats
it has 144K miles and it a 2002
I saw a 2005 with nearly all if not a little less done to it with 150k miles asking for 15999 I was thinknig 10k obo but I dont want to highball someone or lowball myself, does anyone have experience selling trucks like this?

Old 11-20-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Lol in my area if someone said 10k for that truck I would laugh and walk away. Instead of asking people all around the world what your truck is worth how about you use kbb and look in YOUR area to see what similar trucks are going for. Different generations are not near similar.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:08 PM

Received 216 Likes on 170 Posts

I'm in SoDak. Any big mantinence items thrown at it? Ball Joints/Wheel Bearings/Tie Rods, etc. From what I've noticed, seems like non essential upgrades help sell, but don't really raise book value. Unless you can find buyers that want it exactly as it is. As for price, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on CL for 8k. I think you could post it for 9,000 and settle for less. Extended cab will hurt the value some, everyone wants a 4 door lol.
Old 11-20-2016, 08:21 PM

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

around here (Illinois) $5k to $6k, if you've actually spent any money on maintenance and it's not a rust bucket. receipts?
lift kits usually spell higher maint costs, steering joints and tires
not really a custom truck

I'd want the factory air intake.
The following users liked this post:
Ryanmiller (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by the01kingranch
Lol in my area if someone said 10k for that truck I would laugh and walk away. Instead of asking people all around the world what your truck is worth how about you use kbb and look in YOUR area to see what similar trucks are going for. Different generations are not near similar.
Instead of coming here with negativity how about you stop assuming I didn't already do those things, stock 2002 f150 xlt's with over 140k miles sell for 5-7k around here depending on the condition. But if you want to laugh you can just laugh at your ignorance
Old 11-20-2016, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by lutter5-0
I'm in SoDak. Any big mantinence items thrown at it? Ball Joints/Wheel Bearings/Tie Rods, etc. From what I've noticed, seems like non essential upgrades help sell, but don't really raise book value. Unless you can find buyers that want it exactly as it is. As for price, I wouldn't be surprised to see it on CL for 8k. I think you could post it for 9,000 and settle for less. Extended cab will hurt the value some, everyone wants a 4 door lol.
it does have some rust on rocker panels but I didn't mention it because I plan on repairing all rust over winter. All maintenance is up to date and ball joints were just replaced like 15k miles ago so they should be good for a long time. As for your price I think I would be fair and that is probably would I will end up doing! thanks for the input
Old 11-20-2016, 09:21 PM

For reference, there's a 2002 lariat super cab in canton, sd on craigslist, can't find it now, but it was up. 185k miles, super mega clean pickup, pretty sure every option for the year, sunroof adjustable pedals, digital hvac. They had it priced at $8,500. I was going to offer 6k but he was fairly firm on price. If you list the maintenance history, all the parts ya got on it, that will help for sure. I wish I had maintenance history on my '11. But I'm pretty sure a blank piece of paper is just as accurate fml.
The following users liked this post:
Ryanmiller (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by lutter5-0
For reference, there's a 2002 lariat super cab in canton, sd on craigslist, can't find it now, but it was up. 185k miles, super mega clean pickup, pretty sure every option for the year, sunroof adjustable pedals, digital hvac. They had it priced at $8,500. I was going to offer 6k but he was fairly firm on price. If you list the maintenance history, all the parts ya got on it, that will help for sure. I wish I had maintenance history on my '11. But I'm pretty sure a blank piece of paper is just as accurate fml.
Thanks man, I dont quite have maintenance history but anybody who takes the time to look at the truck will really see the TLC this truck has received over the years
Old 11-20-2016, 09:26 PM

Right, but even just saying something was replaced (and being truthful) is better than not knowing.
Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 PM
mbb

Received 895 Likes on 736 Posts

Explain what "cat delete" means?
What it sounds like is illegal, and you cant sell it for on road use. If you dont disclose this to buyer you could be sued.

Many of your "customizations" can be like a house with a swimming pool.

Actually reduces value because drastically reduces pool of potential buyers.

Most modifications like lift and oversize tires drastically weaken a vehicle and reduce its reliability and/or driveability.

The biggest problem...is that sales price is very dependent on what banks will loan. Most used vehicle buyers have little to put down.

Last edited by mbb; 11-20-2016 at 10:47 PM.