Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Powertrax Lock-rite Locker

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007, 12:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Powertrax Lock-rite Locker

I have a powertrax lock-rite locker rear 8.8 I bought for my 94 f150 before I sold the truck,the good thing I never installed it so I still have it.will it fit my 97 f150 rear 8.8 and is anybody running one if so tell me all about it pros and cons thanks calvin
Old 04-20-2007, 07:12 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin
I have a powertrax lock-rite locker rear 8.8 I bought for my 94 f150 before I sold the truck,the good thing I never installed it so I still have it.will it fit my 97 f150 rear 8.8 and is anybody running one if so tell me all about it pros and cons thanks calvin
Yes it will fit. I don't know that name brand so I have no opinion on it as a product. I do HIGHLY reccomend a locker to anyone with an open diff.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:02 AM

the name brand is powertrax ,I think the are made by richmond,and yes I do only have a open carrier.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:04 AM

what about winter driving with a locker?
Old 04-20-2007, 11:26 AM
Ty

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

fun!
Old 04-20-2007, 11:39 AM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Put the locker in and have fun..
Old 04-20-2007, 07:40 PM

The lockrite locker is pretty cheap IMO, I had one in my Jeep wrangler and It didnt last very long. Its a very LOUD locker, When going aroung corners you can hear it popping and clicking, I would highly recommend that you go with a Detroit, or ARB locker.

Dont get me wrong, The lockrite does work like its supposed to but if your truck spends much of its time on the road, instead of off road, it will become pretty annoying. It feels like your rear end is falling apart when you are cornering.

A selectable locker would be the way to go if you dont need posi all the time.
Old 04-20-2007, 08:35 PM
NGM
Resident A-hole

Originally Posted by jcboof
The lockrite locker is pretty cheap IMO, I had one in my Jeep wrangler and It didnt last very long. Its a very LOUD locker, When going aroung corners you can hear it popping and clicking, I would highly recommend that you go with a Detroit, or ARB locker.

Dont get me wrong, The lockrite does work like its supposed to but if your truck spends much of its time on the road, instead of off road, it will become pretty annoying. It feels like your rear end is falling apart when you are cornering.

A selectable locker would be the way to go if you dont need posi all the time.
A Detroit locker makes alot of noise too. A selactable locker is expensive. From what I gather he already has this one. Why not throw it in.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:15 PM

I was just telling him the pro's and cons, because I had one. Its a good locker but you cannot Lock and Unlock it. Yes a detroit is kinda noisy too but it has a much greater proven track record. The lockrite locker just replaces your spider gear assembly, with dual cups with teeth on them, There are springs and pins that hold the assembly together and allow the cups to rotate opposite of eachother when cornering, These teeth wear rapidly possibly causing premature ring and pinion wear and getting lots and lots of metal flakes in your diff oil.

Mine lasted about 25000 miles before I had to overhaul my D-44 axle, I had only used it offroad a couple of times. The teeth basically wore out on the cups and then that caused wheel bearings to start getting noisy and then it started chattering really bad.

Had to do a complete ring, pinion, side bearings, pinion bearing, and wheel bearings. THAT IS A BIG JOB!! Expensive too, especially if you have to take it somewhere, But luckily I know how to set up rear ends!

Its just not a good product for a DAILY DRIVER. If you wheel your truck more than you drive it ON ROAD, its a great product, But with my experience I'd sell it on ebay and get a GOOD locker.

Just my 2 pennies
Old 04-20-2007, 10:17 PM

how much could I get for my lock rite locker on ebay?

Quick Reply: Powertrax Lock-rite Locker