Piecing together a lift - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Piecing together a lift

Old Yesterday, 02:19 AM

Default Piecing together a lift

Hello. I've been looking for a bit for information about suspension lifts, but now am struggling to find much for my 98 4.6 SuperCrew 4x4 in the way of kits. It seems that RC is my only option and I havent heard much good about them. This truck is my DD, but I do occasionally go offroad and run some mild trails. So instead, Im thinking of how to piece together a 3"-4" lift that accommodates me. I'm aware that there are different ways to do this and this seems somewhat broad, but I was curious what others had experienced and what method worked best for them.
Also, I'm not super interested in anything with the torsion bars getting tweaked. Thanks for the help!
Old Yesterday, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by codolten
Hello. I've been looking for a bit for information about suspension lifts, but now am struggling to find much for my 98 4.6 SuperCrew 4x4 in the way of kits. It seems that RC is my only option and I havent heard much good about them. This truck is my DD, but I do occasionally go offroad and run some mild trails. So instead, Im thinking of how to piece together a 3"-4" lift that accommodates me. I'm aware that there are different ways to do this and this seems somewhat broad, but I was curious what others had experienced and what method worked best for them.
Also, I'm not super interested in anything with the torsion bars getting tweaked. Thanks for the help!
Zone kit and call it a day. Rough country is garbage I wouldn't run it on a golf cart let alone anything in public roads. It's really the bottom of the barrel. zone is BDS, made in the same warehouse by the same company. It's just their economic line.
Old Yesterday, 11:27 AM

I installed the Zone suspension lift kit. Very well made. I believe they only offer a 6" suspension lift (although you can choose the option of only 5" lift in the rear to level the truck - that's what I ordered). I am very happy with the product. It is a big job, but the instructions are good. I did it myself working alone.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 AM

Im just thinking the 6 might be too much though. I only want 33s on because I dont want to need to regear at the 35s. I am afraid the 6 will make the 33s look real small.
Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

You are probably right. 35" tires look perfect. 33's will probably look a little small.
Old Yesterday, 05:24 PM

I would also recommend the zone 6 inch kit with 35's. If you are not towing or offroading every weekend, then you should be fine without re gearing
Old Yesterday, 06:04 PM

Here is a crazy idea. I don't know if it would work or not...

The Rough County (RC) lift looks OK,especially the knuckles, but its biggest problem is with the cross members that lower the front differential and also lower the lower-control-arm mounting points. On the better lifts, those cross members are really big, beefy single pieces of steel (actually 2 pieces as there are 2 cross members). The rough county kit comes with cross members that are made up of a number of pieces that need to be bolted together. I'm sure that the RC uses their approach to either simplify manufacturing, simplify installation, reduce cost, or all of the above. Some have complained that you get a lot of flexing and eventually loosening of the cross members where they are bolted together.

Now the crazy idea - Perhaps you could install the RC cross members then weld the pieces together to make them more solid. Obviously you would only weld the cross member pieces together, not weld the cross member to other parts of the truck. I actually did think about doing this before deciding to just go with the Zone lift. Maybe someone has tried this.
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM

Maybe I should change the question and see what the 6 with 33s actually looks like. If anyone has any pictures of this setup, would you please share?
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by codolten
Maybe I should change the question and see what the 6 with 33s actually looks like. If anyone has any pictures of this setup, would you please share?
Here is 6" and 33x12.50's I ran the setup for a long time and honestly it was great. Piecing together a lift-photo98.jpg
Attached Thumbnails Piecing together a lift-photo847.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Piecing together a lift

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: