Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

To PI or not to PI

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 10:46 PM
Will work for parts

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Question To PI or not to PI

Alright I have a 98 4.6 5 speed and would like to do a PI head swap... Does anybody know what years the windsor plant made pi heads? The reason i am asking about the windsor plant it that the valve covers are different. Also is it the same as a mustang as far as having to change out the intakeas well as the heads when with the pi heads?
Old 10-11-2009, 11:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider
Alright I have a 98 4.6 5 speed and would like to do a PI head swap... Does anybody know what years the windsor plant made pi heads? The reason i am asking about the windsor plant it that the valve covers are different. Also is it the same as a mustang as far as having to change out the intakeas well as the heads when with the pi heads?
I'm not sure about what year Windsor heads were available. You should change the intake to match the PI heads, but the Npi will work. Forget about the possibility of using a car intake, as you will will lose too much low end torque.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:22 PM
Will work for parts

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ONELOWF
I'm not sure about what year Windsor heads were available. You should change the intake to match the PI heads, but the Npi will work. Forget about the possibility of using a car intake, as you will will lose too much low end torque.
I was not going to try for a mustang intake, just asking if the intakes were different like the mustangs are.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:14 AM

OK. Yes, the intakes are different from Npi to Pi. The shape of the ports are much different, but the Npi ports are smaller so the Npi intake could be used on the Pi heads. I mentioned the car intake because I have seen the question asked a few times.
Old 10-14-2009, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was reading somewhere that if you use some combination of Npi/Pi block with Npi/pi heads that you could raise the compression almost a full point and it would gain a bunch of HP and some torque....? i believe that it was a Pi Block and Npi heads......??? not exactly sure.
Anyone care to enlighten me a little? and what year F150's are Pi compared to Npi?
Old 10-15-2009, 08:43 AM

I'm not sure of actual change years (99'?), but putting Pi heads on a Npi block will raise compression one full point + to 10.5:1.