Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Perfered cold air intakes kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfered cold air intakes kits

So I have a Spector intake on my 2000 5.4. It does the job. But for my 03 5.4 screw I want something of a little more quality. I'm looking at the k&n and the Volant. I'd like to hear if anybody else has different recommendations but would also like to hear from the guys that own one of those two brands. Any issues? Is the fit stable? Pics would also be great. I notice one "blocks" the engine heat and the other has a full box over the filter any thoughts.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:50 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcodyw
So I have a Spector intake on my 2000 5.4. It does the job. But for my 03 5.4 screw I want something of a little more quality. I'm looking at the k&n and the Volant. I'd like to hear if anybody else has different recommendations but would also like to hear from the guys that own one of those two brands. Any issues? Is the fit stable? Pics would also be great. I notice one "blocks" the engine heat and the other has a full box over the filter any thoughts.
I love my K&N setup, some guys run homemade intakes but Its not my style.
Attached Thumbnails Perfered cold air intakes kits-image-3715076956.jpg   Perfered cold air intakes kits-image-1259055813.jpg   Perfered cold air intakes kits-image-3582362590.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

I have the same K&N and like it.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by 02_Black_On_White
I love my K&N setup, some guys run homemade intakes but Its not my style.
Thanks for the pics and feed back. Does the intake move or Bounce around in the heat "block" I see the hole is pretty big? Any difference in feel (power)?
Old 03-10-2015, 10:03 PM

Received 399 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcodyw
Thanks for the pics and feed back. Does the intake move or Bounce around in the heat "block" I see the hole is pretty big? Any difference in feel (power)?
it meshes up against the liner of the hood to create a nice seal, if you can zoom im on my hood liner you can probably see the shape of the box, i noticed a big difference. The truck could finally breath. It doesn't move or bounce either. And its K&N so you'll always be able to get the cleaning kits and so forth. Been around forever.
Attached Thumbnails Perfered cold air intakes kits-image-797312451.jpg  
Old 03-10-2015, 11:25 PM

it meshes up against the liner of the hood to create a nice seal, if you can zoom im on my hood liner you can probably see the shape of the box, i noticed a big difference. The truck could finally breath. It doesn't move or bounce either. And its K&N so you'll always be able to get the cleaning kits and so forth. Been around forever.
I'm Sold. Thanks 02_black_on_white for the quick responses, information and pictures.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:38 PM
MGD
former member

Received 856 Likes on 613 Posts

i noticed a big difference. The truck could finally breath.
Odd - since the stock intake already handily outflows the needs of yer stock engine, that is not possible.

I once had an AF1 3" ( far superior quality than any K&N ) on a truck of your Gen. No difference - and that was determined via extensive datalogging.

Hence - what you are experiencing is some intake noise and the Placebo effect, nothing more. Sorry - noise does not equal power.

By all means buy it for looks - but please don't tell me it adds any performance. I've already disproved that fallacy conclusively, years ago. That dawg just don't hunt.

BTW - keep that MAF clean - that filter oil is a stone biotch. And change yer oil more often, as the filtration is NOT on par with the OEM filter.

OP - save money - do the Gotts mod and move on.

MGD
The following users liked this post:
blupupher (03-11-2015)
Old 03-10-2015, 11:47 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Intakes are a waste of money with very little benefits. By all means go for it but I wouldn't waste your money. Have used in the past and definitely not worth it. Just my two cents.
Old 03-11-2015, 12:50 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default It's your money.

http://www.fordf150.net/articles/idx...ification.html

Link is the Gotts Mod.

I bought a truck with a blown engine that has an Airaid intake on it. I looked it up on the Airaid website, and this thing costs around $360!! I'd sell it for 1/3 of that price.

The OEM air intake brings in air from the fender, where as the K n N air intake brings it in from inside the engine (or a small one foot square area between the hood and the box). I guess I might be missing something, but it sure seems like a gimmick to me. Buy them for looks and "coolness", I guess.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:03 AM
Advanced Member

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

If you have an open air filter, it can suck in water if your off-roading in a lot of water. The GOTTS mod is less than $15, and you can retain the factory look and the factory snorkel in the fender well.

Quick Reply: Perfered cold air intakes kits