Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Passenger side front wheel won't move when in drive

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2019, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger side front wheel won't move when in drive

I own a 2003 F150 4.6L V8 4x4 with 99,000 miles. While driving home on Friday, the truck started to lurch forward and the right front tire locked up. We managed to get it into the driveway and the right front tire left a long skid mark on my driveway while only going 5 MPH. So here are the basic tests I performed. When I try to move the truck in drive I have to apply a lot of gas just to get it to move forward and when it does it I hear a clunk sound in the back and then it lurches and move freely for about 10 feet then stops on its own without any brake. However, when I put the truck in reverse the right front tire moves freely and I have no issues turning right or left--everything seems normal. When I put it in neutral and have my daughter steer the car while I push it forward, the wheels move freely while going straight and while turning. This is all happening in 2WD--4WD is not engaged. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:15 PM

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

The only similar experience I have had was with a 1990 Mustang - when I turned one day I heard a bang and the left front wheel was locked up (the Mustang was rear wheel drive only and you state that you are in 2wd). As I recollect, the lower ball joint had completely dried out of grease, causing it to break. It wasn't an expensive repair but of course I had to have it towed in to the shop. My dad had the same experience with his 1989 Crown Vic. So I expect it's something similar. Good luck with it!

Quick Reply: Passenger side front wheel won't move when in drive