Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

painting my grille...

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 05:42 PM
thread jacker!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default painting my grille...

i want to paint my chrome grille surround, the emblem, and my blinker corners all black to match my truck. im thinkin it may take a few different kinds of paint. could someone that has already done this fill me in on what brand of paint i should get. also should i get gloss or flat cuz my paint is kinda custom faded. i also want to paint all the gray on the top of the bumper and the fender flares too. also throw in any ideas yal got and would think looked good
Old 08-10-2010, 06:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That so called chrome is actually a thin layer of metal on plastic with a clear plastic overlay. Having done that several times, the way I painted grilles etc. was to clean them real good with rubbing alcohol, sand any imperfections, 400 grit sandpaper everything you can, then a couple of coats of auto gray primer (kind in the spray can is fine). As for finish paint, I assume you are going to use a spary can? If so semi-flat black would probably be your best choice. If you are using auto paint, a good auto paint seller can match you up. Bottom line, except for a chrome bumper if you have one, nothing else is actually real metal chrome that I can think of, it is all plastic and plastic likes paint. Since auto primer sticks to anything, I have also painted real chrome grilles etc. after cleaning, sanding, and priming them and they lasted well with no flaking paint.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:33 PM
thread jacker!

sweet thanks. and yea i know its not really chrome
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

And as far as the corner lights go, me and bigun both did ours about... 2 months ago and both still are looking good, dustin used the Rustoleum brand, and i used i think its called "Niteshade" or something to that affect. Real easy to do. Just don't put it on to thick, i almost did, i have to remember in the day time its hard to see my blinker haha, i get many odd stares when they're trying to figure out if the blinker is on or not
Old 08-10-2010, 08:31 PM
thread jacker!

yea i probably will fudge up and do that anyways. im startin operation "murdered out". the bumpers and toolbox will be bedlinerd eventually
Old 08-10-2010, 09:08 PM
GA FX4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am in pretty much the same boat except i am ordering lights and just painting the inside of my grill since the outside is already color matched. i am getting flat black wheels (which are really like a satin) so I am painting my gray fender trim and bumper trim a satin black. i like to use the krylon for plastic because it has the fan spray instead of the round spray which has always worked best for me (doesn't leave stripes). i'll be interested to see how yours turns out because i won't be doing mine until i get the rims (in case i change my mind on rim color)
Old 08-10-2010, 09:17 PM
thread jacker!

Originally Posted by lunchbox
i am in pretty much the same boat except i am ordering lights and just painting the inside of my grill since the outside is already color matched. i am getting flat black wheels (which are really like a satin) so I am painting my gray fender trim and bumper trim a satin black. i like to use the krylon for plastic because it has the fan spray instead of the round spray which has always worked best for me (doesn't leave stripes). i'll be interested to see how yours turns out because i won't be doing mine until i get the rims (in case i change my mind on rim color)
im pretty much dead set on either monster rims or addicts. both black.

yea i was gonna go with krylon for all the plastic stuff. but some kinda light paint from autozone for the corners. ill definitly put up pics when i get it done. hopin it looks killer so i dont have to take all that paint off

Quick Reply: painting my grille...