Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Oil smoke occuring on acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Oil smoke occuring on acceleration

Hi,

I have a 1999 Ford F-150 supercab with the 4.6L. It was a south Carolina truck and seemingly well cared for engine and interior very clean. The engine never misses a beat and it runs smooth as butter.

Problem:
After the truck is fully warmed up when stopped at the light or idling the truck at a stand still for a minute or more when accelerating away it will create a plume of oil smoke. It gets worse the longer you idle and then I noticed if I don't get into it (as in drive it like a rolling road block) I can control when the plume comes out like if I'm trying not to asphyxiate the gate guard after idling in line for a while.

Before you say valve stem oil seals or guides remember this does not occur on a cold start and no oil seems to be burned while running down the road.

Before you say I have my ring gaps lined up to allow oil passage remember it does not burn oil continuously just momentarily.

I think the oil is pooling somewhere under high vacuum (at idle) and when the vacuum goes away (throttle opened) the pooling stops and the oil is pulled into the engine and burned. If I'm right what I cant figure out is where is this happening? I replaced the pcv but the problem remains.

Any suggestions?

More info: it does not seem to consume much oil however I don't drive it daily so my miles aren't very high. When I drive it on the weekends to the dump or anywhere really it gets a full warm up and usually a nice long run 30+ minutes. I use Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w-30 and I change it yearly cause that's how slow I'm putting miles on.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:29 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure, but I'd change the PCV. Cost next to nothing and the 4.6 seems to be sensitive to this working perfectly.
Old 08-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by F150ken
Not sure, but I'd change the PCV. Cost next to nothing and the 4.6 seems to be sensitive to this working perfectly.
I did, but maybe I replaced a bad one with another bad one?
Old 08-04-2017, 09:34 AM
No longer stuck in 2003

Received 120 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kbechtel
When you replaced it did you also replace the rubber gasket around it?
The following users liked this post:
kbechtel (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by Aragorn
When you replaced it did you also replace the rubber gasket around it?
No I don't believe I did because it wasn't in bad shape. You think maybe the idle vacuum isn't closing the PCV the way it supposed to because of a vacuum leak in the line? That sounds like it could explain how simple this problem could be. I will replace everything and see if that fixes the problem.
Old 08-04-2017, 12:42 PM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Originally Posted by kbechtel
Did you use a Motorcraft PCV valve? There have been a few issues with aftermarket valves not being built to the correct tolerances. I believe JBrew can elaborate more on that.
Old 08-04-2017, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by white89gt
Did you use a Motorcraft PCV valve? There have been a few issues with aftermarket valves not being built to the correct tolerances. I believe JBrew can elaborate more on that.
I don't remember exactly to tell you the truth its been a while since I did it. I will make sure and get a higher quality PCV this time I think I just bought whatever NAPA had. I think it might have been NAPA select or Echlin. I might have to go somewhere e3lse to get motorcraft or order it or something. I went to the genuine ford parts website and I had a hard time finding an exact replacement grommet for the PCV and its not included with the PCV as far as I could tell. I also realized I might have a romeo PCV on the Windsor engine because on the ford parts site they had different PCV's for each one.

I will have to actually get the VIN number off my truck so I can sort out which engine I have romeo or Windsor. My truck came through the Norfolk assembly plant so I don't know if that narrows it down for anybody?
Old 08-04-2017, 02:00 PM

This is where I got mine. Great price, and it comes with the hose and elbow.

Amazon Amazon
Old 08-04-2017, 02:01 PM

Of course.... that ^^^ is assuming yours is not the heated PCV valve.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by white89gt
This is where I got mine. Great price, and it comes with the hose and elbow.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
That one is listed for a 5.4 do you think it will work with the 4.6? Is yours a 4.6?