Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

oil pressure gage

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 09:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil pressure gage

I have a 2001 F150 that I am thinking of purchasing from a dealer. I have the pick up but haven't finalized the finances.
I put gas in and checked the oil. Low and behold the oil stick was dirty and no oil on it. It has been sitting in a used car lot for the last 5/6 months. So I put a quart in, no oil yet on the stick. It took another 4 quarts to bring it to full on the stick. I made sure I had the right stick. It's the 4.6 triton engine. There was no low oil light on and my pressure was just above the middle. So I suspect the pressure switch sensor is bad. The pressure gauge indicator needle does not move at all, in park , in gear or at idle. No check engine light either.
So to make a long story short I don't know how long this has been a problem.
After putting in the 5 quarts no change either or pressure or temp.
One would think that it should have ran hot and I would have started to hear some engine damage.The engine sounds great, no lifter or valve noise and good power.
I am stumped and leary about closing the deal on this rig. Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions I would surely appreciate.
I am thinking I should have a good mechanic give it a once over...
Need to decide soon.
Thanks
Rider
Old 05-23-2017, 10:52 PM
Trying to figure it out!

Received 677 Likes on 494 Posts

Something's isn't right and if I were you I would take it back. I don't know how many quarts the 4.6 holds but if it took 5 to get it to normal my guess is there couldn't have been more than 1 in it and damaged has already occurred.
People (not me) talk about not filling oil filters during a change and the first start but this would be many times worse.
Old 05-24-2017, 07:04 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

That "pressure gauge" is not a gauge. It is just an on/off indicator that moves the needle to the center if ~3-4 psi is sensed.
As for the engine being 5 quarts low - certainly bad news. How did it get that low? Burning or leaking oil and the truck users not checking the oil level.
4.6L engines are stout but oil starvation can ruin an engine very quickly.
The oil capacity of the 4.6 is 6 quarts.
I'd pass on this vehicle.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:20 AM

Good advice, spoke with my local certified mechanic and he said. Says some vehicles do and can burn oil up to 2 quarts per month and you would not know because of some converters and exhausts will not blow blue smoke. The low oil sensor was broke. He advised it would have to be tore down to do a proper inspection costing hundreds of dollars. So I took the pickup back to the dealer and sad thanks but no thanks. he wasn't surprised and didn't offer any solutions. Nice truck otherwise. Dam this was my second shot at an F150 and so far 0/2. I need to hone my buyer skills.
Thanks for the info/help
I hope to be back!
Rider
Old 05-25-2017, 04:23 PM

Received 6,471 Likes on 4,609 Posts

Originally Posted by joe mcmillan
I'd pass on this vehicle.
Agreed
Old 05-29-2017, 07:12 PM

PM me I might be able to help you out with that search.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:33 PM

Just bought a 97 f150 4.6 triton with 126000 miles. test drove it, checked the oil stick. Low and behold clean and up to level. Glad the other pickup deal fell through. Bought it from a private party on C.L. Paid low end of KBB for a quick cash deal at $3100. Only issue is the tires are cold checked and need replacing. I am still ahead even after buying brand new tires. So I will be hanging around for awhile! Will be installing a mechanical oil pressure gage after the tires!
Ride on!
Old 06-04-2017, 10:08 PM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

Welcome GOP- there are some very knowledgable folks on here that can help with nearly any 10th generation truck problems!
The following users liked this post:
GOP RIDER (06-04-2017)
Old 06-05-2017, 04:12 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by GOP RIDER
Just bought a 97 f150 4.6 triton with 126000 miles. test drove it, checked the oil stick. Low and behold clean and up to level. Glad the other pickup deal fell through. Bought it from a private party on C.L. Paid low end of KBB for a quick cash deal at $3100. Only issue is the tires are cold checked and need replacing. I am still ahead even after buying brand new tires. So I will be hanging around for awhile! Will be installing a mechanical oil pressure gage after the tires!
Ride on!
That mechanical gauge is a good upgrade.
You need to T off of the original pressure tap, behind the sending unit that is on the oil filter adaptor so the original "idiot" sending unit will still work and not give you an error message or warning. Not much working room there but it can be done several ways.
One of which is similar to this:
Amazon Amazon
Old 06-05-2017, 08:56 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

pass. Thats just to big a red flag.