Oil filter adapter removal - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Oil filter adapter removal

Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 AM   #1

Default Oil filter adapter removal

I couldn't find much in the archives about this, so thought I'd post some thoughts for any poor soul looking, in the future:

As near as I can tell there are 3 different possible oil filter set-ups. Why--I have no idea.
1. Remote--filter under the bumper?
2. Filter directly below the adapter, just behind the PS pump.
3. Filter to the rear of the engine mount. (You just lost the lottery.) In the pics below you can see the adapter running behind the engine mount bracket.

My '98 4.6L was lucky #3, and it is no way shape or form any kind of fun to remove. I couldn't see any way to remove the adapter without completely removing the engine mount.

Start by removing the wheel AND the plastic wheel well liner. Only takes a few minutes and provides much much better access. Remove belt from PS pump pulley. I unbolted PS pump but didn't drain or remove it. Unbolt adapter. Remove 2 nuts holding transmission mount to frame. Remove 4 bolts holding engine mount bracket. Lift engine, watching body/engine clearance under hood. You'll need to lift it several inches in order to rotate the mount out, in order to then get the adapter out. I think I lifted it about as far as it would go. (I didn't remove, or loosen, the R mount.)

Clean your surfaces, put in new gasket, installation is the reverse, etc.
If you've been leaking a while, might want to power wash the area before starting as it will be really grungy, falling in your eyes, etc.

The description doesn't make it SOUND that bad, but it seems like almost every single bolt is a bugger to get to. All for a $12 gasket.

HTH
Attached Thumbnails
Oil filter adapter removal-img_9165.jpg   Oil filter adapter removal-img_9166.jpg  
tab a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

pretty sure the only way to get at the bolts is to remove the power steering pump.. read the whole post and looks like you did. tough job..

Last edited by jethat; 02-16-2018 at 11:41 AM.
jethat is offline   Reply With Quote