Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Not ANOTHER Exhuast Question...

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2015, 01:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not ANOTHER Exhuast Question...

Alright guys, I know there is a million threads on exhaust on this forum already, but.....

I ordered two Dynomax Mini Bullets for my exhaust that I was planing to do for a couple weeks now, watched a ton of Youtube videos on what I wanted, finally decided on the bullets. I wanted to run true duals, with the rear cats deleted. So i went under the truck to try and figure out how much pipe, and clamps I would need.

Here's the problem. I was looking at the exhaust and it seemed like it was all a super tight fit, like it would be a major pain in the a** to try and get replacement pipe up where the rear cats are at. And I also don't know where I would run the exhaust pipe coming from the driver side manifold into a dual exhuast..It just doesn't add up in my mind.

Just curious what other people have done for the dual exhaust, without going to a shop. I'm a college student, so I don't have much extra cash to drop to have someone else do my work for me.

Thanks guys, Let me know your feedback.
Old 03-14-2015, 03:48 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Most of these trucks I've been around, installing true duals wasn't an option. I've seen a "Y" put in after cat'd pipe and duals run off that, either with or without mufflers. Mine has a single in, dual out muffler with twin pipes out the rear, run as a pair together on the right rear. Nice sound, but a bit loud for me. Others have run them out the back or both rear sides, after putting in a "Y". That is the simplest way I know for an inexpensive home style install.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:12 AM

Received 5,553 Likes on 4,630 Posts

You can do TD's IF your dead set on it (not sure why anyone would, there NO reason to), - people do it. The Y is eliminated when doing so. Instead of the Y you the pipes side x side at the Y section. Just run a weld joining the pipes or go into an X pipe where the old Y use to be.. But, you'll have to tune the PCM to run a sytem like that and/or reduce pipe diameters.

There's really no need with these IMO. You can get plenty of great sound from a single 3.

Honestly, the ONLY way to get that truly good sound is before the exhaust. Throw a supercharger on the engine and just about any configuration will sound bad ***.

Other than that, from the factory Y, delete the rear converters (downstream) and run a Borla muffler. It's about the best you can do performance and sound wise.
That way she sounds good, might even have a hew more pony's, but you won't have to tune. Everything is easy and cheap (except for the Borla), - just make your connections tight. You'll like it.
Old 03-14-2015, 09:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My son put a Dynomax on my 97 and it ends right before the rear tires. I think it sounds great. Probably not what I would have done but he was driving it at the time and paid for it so........But it does sound good.
Old 03-14-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 91 Likes on 86 Posts

I cut the rear cats off my 98, was kind of a pain and I wish I hadn't done it. I used to run it like that with no muffler. And now that I'm over that phase, I have a muffler piped out the back. It's still irreversibly loud without sinking money into new cats and work
Old 03-14-2015, 12:07 PM

Received 5,553 Likes on 4,630 Posts

Originally Posted by greenheadkiller98
I cut the rear cats off my 98, was kind of a pain and I wish I hadn't done it. I used to run it like that with no muffler. And now that I'm over that phase, I have a muffler piped out the back. It's still irreversibly loud without sinking money into new cats and work
Yea, you can't do it like that, - nothing good will come from it. In fact, that's how not to do it. Yea, the tune won't work, truck will fall it's face and be irritatingly loud. Learning the hard way, but at least you learned.

Last edited by Jbrew; 03-14-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2015, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Looks like I'll just be keeping it with the muffler delete for now.

Quick Reply: Not ANOTHER Exhuast Question...