Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

No Tail Lights But Other Lights Work

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 10:45 PM
Thunderbird Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy No Tail Lights But Other Lights Work

Good afternoon F150 community,

I've recently purchased a 2000 F150 4.2L from an auction at a very good price. I've fixed everything except for the tail lights and license plate lights. For some reason, I can't get them to turn on. My brake lights work, my blinkers work, I'm not sure about the reverse lights, but I'll check when I get home tonight. My headlights work as well. I'm not very good with the electrical side of vehicles so I'm a bit confused here. I didn't see any fuses for the tail lights, but I may have missed something. Any suggestions for troubleshooting and tracking down this problem? Anything is appreciated and thanks in advance!

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09-08-2016, 10:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Get under the truck, find the plug for the wires back there drivers side of the frame. Work that plug. After I had the bed off mine to replace the fuel pump. I had the same issues but as soon as I pushed that plug together tighter. All lights worked right.
Good luck and hope this works for you.
Pete
Old 09-08-2016, 10:56 PM
Thunderbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by petef-150
Get under the truck, find the plug for the wires back there drivers side of the frame. Work that plug. After I had the bed off mine to replace the fuel pump. I had the same issues but as soon as I pushed that plug together tighter. All lights worked right.
Good luck and hope this works for you.
Pete
Thank you for the prompt reply! In fact, I too pulled the bed off to replace the fuel pump. I'll play with that plug for a bit and see if it works. I'll let you know tomorrow.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:59 PM
Thunderbird Fanatic

Alright so I got under the truck and checked both plugs without any luck. I checked the reverse lights, they work as well.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:51 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

It is the Multifunction switch wiring pigtail that is giving the common problem. It is located on the top of the steering column when you take the cover off.

Disconnect your battery.

Turn the key to the run position and insert a small screwdriver into the hole on the bottom of the steering column where there is no screw. You will press a clip in that holds your lock tumbler. Pull the lock tumbler out of the steering column.

Take the three screws out of the cover from the bottom and release the bottom cover from the top cover.

You should see a few green wires that are coming loose from the pig tail.

Here is the wiring diagram for the pigtail.

I picked up a pigtail from O'Reilly and spliced it into the original wiring. It was $20.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=pt5616

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/lo...2_234909_2.gif
Old 09-12-2016, 05:53 PM
Thunderbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by Anthony Kadzban
It is the Multifunction switch wiring pigtail that is giving the common problem. It is located on the top of the steering column when you take the cover off.

Disconnect your battery.

Turn the key to the run position and insert a small screwdriver into the hole on the bottom of the steering column where there is no screw. You will press a clip in that holds your lock tumbler. Pull the lock tumbler out of the steering column.

Take the three screws out of the cover from the bottom and release the bottom cover from the top cover.

You should see a few green wires that are coming loose from the pig tail.

Here is the wiring diagram for the pigtail.

I picked up a pigtail from O'Reilly and spliced it into the original wiring. It was $20.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...keyword=pt5616

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/lo...2_234909_2.gif

I apologize if this sounds dumb, I'm not too familiar with vehicle wiring, if it was the pigtail for the multifunction switch, wouldn't my signal indicators or brake lights be giving me some issues as well? When looking at the wiring diagram, it says pins 2 and 3 go to BOTH the signal indicators and lamps? In my situation, everything but the tail lights works.
Old 09-12-2016, 06:33 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Pretty sure these trucks use dual filament bulbs... Are you sure the filament isn't just burned out? Spend $3 buy a new one and know for sure.... Sometimes it's the simple things
Old 09-12-2016, 06:35 PM
Thunderbird Fanatic

Originally Posted by fordguy2100
Pretty sure these trucks use dual filament bulbs... Are you sure the filament isn't just burned out? Spend $3 buy a new one and know for sure.... Sometimes it's the simple things
Quite possible, I'll double check when I get home tonight. That would be embarrassing if that was it haha.
The following users liked this post:
petef-150 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

What I did was leave the lights on. Got under there and the main plug on the drivers side. As soon as I moved it, there was a spark . Lights have worked from then on.
I was going to check the bulbs if that had not fixed it. AS I went throuhg that on a 2004 Chevy. Worked hours, to find out it was both bulbs had blown at the same time. Was hauling a truck camper back then. And guess it happend when I plugged in the pigtail.
Pete
Old 09-26-2016, 05:38 PM
Thunderbird Fanatic

Good afternoon,

I found the issue. The wiring on the power distribution box was bad. I simply replaced the wires there and the lights worked fine. It was a bit of a strange fix but it worked! Thank you everybody for your help.

Tim
The following users liked this post:
petef-150 (09-26-2016)

Quick Reply: No Tail Lights But Other Lights Work