Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

No cruise control! Tried the typical fixes

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No cruise control! Tried the typical fixes

I have a 2003 heritage F150 that I recently bought with the cruise not working. The cruise doesn't respond at all (cruise light won't even come on when running). I took it to a shop and after 2 evenings of looking at it they thought it was the cruise module. I bought a used replacement one and no luck...

The following items are things that I've tried

-I checked all fuses including the ones on the replacement harness
-replaced the cruise module
-I put a paper clip in the deactivation pressure sensor on the master cylinder (which is new and not leaking)
-Third brake light was out, when I replaced it all blinkers and brake lights went out. I replaced another fuse and now all the lights work fine.
-ran the self test and the cruise light blinked 3 sometimes 2 times. I recently realized the replacement wiring was hooked up wrong and now the cruise light only blinks once. I'm not sure what one blink means
-the horn works but sounds a little bit sissy (low pitch horn isn't working?)
-I believe the clock spring and brake switch in the cab was tested at the shop but I can't remember for sure.

I'm running out of ideas to try and I would really appreciate some input on what else I should look at. Any suggestions are welcomed, thanks!
Old 09-11-2015, 03:11 AM
Complete Asshat

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

1. A lamp flash with the last button (SET/ACCEL) indicates that the STATIC test passed. If the lamp does not flash with the last button and there are no additional flashes of the lamp, the switch is defective.
    If the lamp does not flash with the last button, and additional flashes occur, follow the chart below for trouble codes:
  • 2 Flashes - BPP defective, circuit is defective, brake applied, CPP switch or jumper (if equipped).
  • 3 Flashes - Deactivator switch is open or circuit defective.
  • 4 Flashes - Vehicle speed signal is out of range or circuit is defective.
Immediately after the STATIC test, the speed control servo does a DYNAMIC test by automatically actuating the throttle lever from 8 mm (0.315 in) to 12 mm (0.472 in) of travel from the idle position. During the DYNAMIC throttle pull, observe throttle movement to witness any binding or sticking of the speed control cable and correct connection of speed control cable to throttle lever. Make sure the throttle returns back to idle position.

It sounds like its passing the self test and should be working.
Old 09-13-2015, 12:07 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default No cruise control! Tried the typical fixes

Cruise control switch recall? That fixed mine. $20 at O'reilys. Should be done anyway if it hasn't been done yet

Quick Reply: No cruise control! Tried the typical fixes