Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

New oil pan ticking like crazy.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question New oil pan ticking like crazy.

Hey. So I put in a new Ford reman'd motor (4.2 v6) from Galpin Ford (big dealership near my house) and everything was fine. My grandpa tried to jack up the motor without me there, and put a hole through my new oil pan. I had the tranny out since I was putting a new torque converter in so I dropped the pan and put a new one in. I'm pretty sure the motor came with 5w30 oil, but when I talked to the guys at the dealership they told me to use 5w20.

I got the new converter in, the new pan, and filled everything up with oil. The 5w20 (thinner) for the motor, and Mercon V for the transmission. I started it up and it started a constant clicking. It's a super loud sound, that's extremely constant. There was an oil pickup that got bent, but we heated it up and straightened it out and there's some plate above that that we straightened out too. I don't think anything is hitting the crank, cuz the sound seems to be to rapid and constant, not like a knock every little bit when the crank comes down.

Any ideas?? Could it be the thinner oil?? Something fall into the pan? The sound seems to be in the oil pan, but the rapidness and constant ticking makes me think the teeth on the flywheel are hitting something.

I'm gonna start tearing it down again on Wednesday, but any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Corey.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:51 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

For the $15 it's not worth messing around with that pickup you torched and bent, get a new one. As for the ticking the bent pickup could do it if it's not picking up correctly but that would be a top end noise from the lifters. Make sure you get the torque converter all the way on, very often people feel the torque converter spline in one step and think they're in but you have to remember a torque converter has two turbines and both need to be splined onto the input shaft and the odds of getting them both smoothly on the firs shot is slim to none. Make sure you spin it back and forth and kind of rock it up and down until you feel that second turbine spline in. If it doesn't the torque converter will be sticking out almost a quarter inch and the studs can hit against the flywheel.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:53 PM

By the way isn't Galpin Ford like massive? Like the biggest dealer in the US?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Austin97
By the way isn't Galpin Ford like massive? Like the biggest dealer in the US?
I think that's what they say. It's pretty big lol
Old 05-31-2011, 10:19 PM

For the $15 it's not worth messing around with that pickup you torched and bent, get a new one. As for the ticking the bent pickup could do it if it's not picking up correctly but that would be a top end noise from the lifters. Make sure you get the torque converter all the way on, very often people feel the torque converter spline in one step and think they're in but you have to remember a torque converter has two turbines and both need to be splined onto the input shaft and the odds of getting them both smoothly on the firs shot is slim to none. Make sure you spin it back and forth and kind of rock it up and down until you feel that second turbine spline in. If it doesn't the torque converter will be sticking out almost a quarter inch and the studs can hit against the flywheel.
I feel like a vibration in the bottom of the oil pan. The torque converter deal sounds interesting though. Maybe the spline that goes into the converter isn't in all the way, and it's hitting the teeth on the second turbine. Since the converter bolts to the flywheel would that be possible that the spline clicking on the second set of teeth would vibrate through the flywheel, and be felt in the oil pan??
Old 05-31-2011, 10:40 PM

It'll do all kinds of things. You didn't bolt the converter to the flywheel first did you? Cause you'll never get it all the way on the input shaft that way. You have to spline in onto the trans before you bolt it to the flywheel.

It's actually called a flex plate, flywheels are in manual transmissions. But same difference.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 PM

It'll do all kinds of things. You didn't bolt the converter to the flywheel first did you? Cause you'll never get it all the way on the input shaft that way. You have to spline in onto the trans before you bolt it to the flywheel.

It's actually called a flex plate, flywheels are in manual transmissions. But same difference.
I put it in the transmission first. Thought I got it all the way on, but maybe I didn't. I'm used to hearing flywheel so I usually just say that instead of flexplate. But you knew what I was talking about anyways

I didn't think the trans and motor would bolt up if the converter was out too far, I figured it would keep them too far apart.

I'll pull them apart, put a new pickup tube, and the plate above it. Do you know what that little plate is called?
Old 05-31-2011, 10:49 PM

Also, should I go back to the 5w30, or it shouldn't matter??
Old 05-31-2011, 11:03 PM

I'm guessing it's the oil pan baffle. Also you have to be careful installing the pickup that it's on the right stud and that you don't over torque the baffle studs and the nut holding the pick up on. If you have a torque wrench the baffle studs are 30 ft/lbs and the pick up nut is 15 ft/lbs. If not make one kinda tight and the other not as tight haha. Just don't horse them in.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:08 PM

I'm guessing it's the oil pan baffle. Also you have to be careful installing the pickup that it's on the right stud and that you don't over torque the baffle studs and the nut holding the pick up on. If you have a torque wrench the baffle studs are 30 ft/lbs and the pick up nut is 15 ft/lbs. If not make one kinda tight and the other not as tight haha. Just don't horse them in.
The pickup will only line up to one bolt. I have a ft lb torque wrench, and a inch lb. I'll torque em exact and all. I'll pull the motor again, check the converter, and change out those parts.

Thanks so much for the help so far man. I have a final tomorrow, but I'll start pulling the motor on Thursday and get back to you.

Thanks!!

Corey.

Quick Reply: New oil pan ticking like crazy.