Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

New Member - Please help diagnose noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 09:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New Member - Please help diagnose noise

Hi Folks!
Great forum here - it been an amazing resource and a big factor in my decision to acquire a F150.
Truck is making a noise that I'm not familiar with. Tried searching and couldn't seem to find the same issue.
The belt is removed in the video
Here's some info on the truck:
2004 F150 7700 Heritage (looks like a 1997-2003)
5.4 dedicated CNG compressed natural gas - Ford factory conversion
46k miles - just picked it up a fre months ago with 45k on it.
Former City of Garden Grove truck so hopeful its had regular maintenance.
I changed oil to Valvoline 5-20 full synthetic & Motorcraft FL820s
Gotts & Zip tie mods
New air filter
New Radiator
Cleaned MAF
Replaced all 8 plugs and COPs hoping to eliminate a misfire upon cold start. That helped, but didn't totally resolve it
New coalescing filter (like a fuel filter for CNG vehicles)
PM-5 injector flush - really helped cold start misfire /roughness but it's still not totally gone.

This noise has me concerned and I'm hoping I'm just paranoid thinking it's timing chains or rod knock.. But man something doesnt sound right there, does it?

Definitely seems louder on the passengers side where the head meets the block. Doesn't seem to be coming from the plugs or injectors.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Many thanks in advance.

Old 03-03-2019, 09:36 PM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

You're not paranoid thinking timing chains.... you're RIGHT.

Those sound awful. It sounds like a diesel. I can almost guarantee you you're rubbing the oil pump with the drivers side chain.
Old 03-03-2019, 11:30 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Yea something happened to that engine, ran low on oil or very poor maintenance I expect. 46,000 miles and chains are making that kind of racket....that just doesn't happen with these modulars.

If it were me, I would compression test it. That would give you good idea how healthy it is. Compression should be close to perfect between cylinders. I think the engine has been hurt in the past, perhaps a partial lock-up event. So before dumping time and money into the engine, I would have to be satisfied with compression numbers. Like I said, that's just me..my opinion.

New radiator ? Perhaps it overheated in the past...they definitely don't like the heat.

Last edited by Jbrew; 03-03-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:12 PM

Thanks Fellas,

I appreciate the advice. If the compression is good, do you recommend I proceed with replacing the chains?

If so I'm thinking this job is beyond me. Found many great instructional videos for the 3v but nothing for the 2v.. So off to my trusted mechanic I guess.

He's cool and lets me provide my own parts.

Do you all have any recommendations?
I usually go for motorcraft but they dont seem to have a complete kit for the 2v that I could find.
Cloyes and Melling have kits.. Any feedback on those? Should I avoid those plastic tensioners?

What else do you recommend we replace while it's opened up? Oil pump? If so should I consider the high volume one? New water pump etc? Anything in the valve train?

Also thinking of asking him to drop the oil pan to clean the pickup and any junk in the pan. Worth the extra $$?

Any other thoughts and advice are appreciated.. My other ford modular v8 has 408k on it and still kicking *** so I'm wanting this one to follow in its foot steps!

Many thanks!!
Old 03-04-2019, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Squeezsh
Thanks Fellas,

I appreciate the advice. If the compression is good, do you recommend I proceed with replacing the chains? Yes

If so I'm thinking this job is beyond me. Found many great instructional videos for the 3v but nothing for the 2v.. So off to my trusted mechanic I guess. The 2V is nearly identical in process.... only real difference is a cam sprocket instead of the phasers... not that bad of a job, just don't plan on having it done in an hour.

He's cool and lets me provide my own parts.

Do you all have any recommendations? You answered it already - both of them are OEM suppliers, so if you DID find a MC part, it would be made by these guys anyway
I usually go for motorcraft but they dont seem to have a complete kit for the 2v that I could find.
Cloyes and Melling have kits..

Any feedback on those? Should I avoid those plastic tensioners? Nothing wrong with the new Cloyes guides (this is what is plastic I think you are talking about) use them and don't look back.

What else do you recommend we replace while it's opened up? Oil pump? If so should I consider the high volume one? New water pump etc? Anything in the valve train? Oil pump, possibly.... especially if you find the chain has been dragging on it, it cuts into the housing. Also look for metal and plastic chunks in the oil pump pickup tube. WP, not necessary to even remove it.... so it's up to you.

Also thinking of asking him to drop the oil pan to clean the pickup and any junk in the pan. Worth the extra $$? YES - see underlined above

Any other thoughts and advice are appreciated.. My other ford modular v8 has 408k on it and still kicking *** so I'm wanting this one to follow in its foot steps!

Many thanks!!
I answered in bold....
Old 03-04-2019, 12:27 PM

Forgot to add.. Its never overheated at least on my watch.

The radiator just had a small leak that started a few weeks after I bought it so I quickly replaced it. Coolant was never that low or anything like that.

It did get up to 205 when I was trying to burp out a coolant bubble but since then ive never seen it get above 192.

Thanks again!!
Old 03-04-2019, 02:14 PM

Did you see my answers?
Old 03-04-2019, 05:29 PM

Yes, I did see your response and sincerely appreciate all the info.

I suspect I was typing out the radiator post and by the time I hit submit you beat me to the punch.

I wussed out and took it to the mechanic who quickly confirmed it as a timing chain issue as well.

gonna follow everyones advice and hopefully keep piling the miles on this beast when I get it back.

Beers on me if you are ever in so cal.. Thanks again man!
Old 03-04-2019, 06:42 PM

How much does a timing chain job run nowadays?
Old 03-04-2019, 08:08 PM

Will definitely report back after I pick it up and letcha know.

Quick Reply: New Member - Please help diagnose noise