Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Need recommendation for bed cover

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need recommendation for bed cover

I have a 1998 Lariat ext.cab with a FLARESIDE bed. The bed had a hard cover on it when I bought it.

I took the hard cover off and now wish to get recommendations for a "soft" cover either roll up or three piece flip type. Earlier threads here are old and dated. This bed has CURVED sides and I believe there can't be too many sellers of soft covers for this bed. I poked around and saw a few, but could not find a video from a seller that shows how to install one on the flareside bed. And before I order one, I want to make sure it will work with a flareside bed.

Does anyone here have a flrareside bed with a decent cover on it and, if so, can they tell me how it has worked for them? Price-wise, $500 max is all I care to spend here. Also, the current bed has a Duraliner in it if that makes a difference.

Thanks.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:40 AM
GO SOX!

Received 92 Likes on 86 Posts

Owning a flareside is better sweet, I've had a couple. I've been looking around the web as well for a nice soft cover. I'm wanting to get rid of the low profile toolbox I have now.
Old 03-12-2019, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by mandingo32
Owning a flareside is better sweet, I've had a couple. I've been looking around the web as well for a nice soft cover. I'm wanting to get rid of the low profile toolbox I have now.

I read your build thread. Very nice job on the 99 Lariat.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:19 PM
Now an XLT in Colorado

Received 2,310 Likes on 1,501 Posts

I've had an Extang Full-Tilt for over ten years, and absolutely love it. Mine has snaps, as I got it on a smokin' closeout deal at Summit racing, but I would have preferred the snapless one (linked) as it looks cleaner, and I have never un-snapped mine except to replace the tonno portion when Extang replaced it under warranty. (GREAT customer service!) I simply lift it off when I anticipate hauling anything. They say you can roll up the tarp, and you can, but removing the back bar and cross-bars requires partial disassembly (at least it does on mine). This caused a problem only once, when I stopped at a sale and bought a freezer. I ended up leaving the cover there and returned to pick it up later.

The bedliner should pose no problems, as the tonneau cover clamps to the inside lip of the bed.

EDIT: Extang's Trifecta would be a choice for the folding cover you mentioned, and they have a standard roll-up one as well.

Last edited by OhioLariat; 03-13-2019 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by OhioLariat
I've had an Extang Full-Tilt for over ten years, and absolutely love it. Mine has snaps, as I got it on a smokin' closeout deal at Summit racing, but I would have preferred the snapless one (linked) as it looks cleaner, and I have never un-snapped mine except to replace the tonno portion when Extang replaced it under warranty. (GREAT customer service!) I simply lift it off when I anticipate hauling anything. They say you can roll up the tarp, and you can, but removing the back bar and cross-bars requires partial disassembly (at least it does on mine). This caused a problem only once, when I stopped at a sale and bought a freezer. I ended up leaving the cover there and returned to pick it up later.

The bedliner should pose no problems, as the tonneau cover clamps to the inside lip of the bed.

EDIT: Extang's Trifecta would be a choice for the folding cover you mentioned, and they have a standard roll-up one as well.
Thanks, I'll have a look at that Extang.

Quick Reply: Need recommendation for bed cover