Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Need help! Something was smoking and now instrument cluster backlight is out

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help! Something was smoking and now instrument cluster backlight is out

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone can chime in on this. I was driving home from work today on my usually dark road so all my fucus was on the street when I noticed smoke by my hand which was on the 12 o'clock position. Immediately I thought my truck was on fire since this has never happened to me. I pulled over, turned my hazards and turned my truck off. After I inspected my truck I noticed my instrument cluster backlight was out but everything was working (hazards,turn signals, all the needles where up and moving like normal). Does anyone have a clue of what might it of happened or now what I can do to trouble shoot? Thanks. Also my odometer would sometimes cut off for miles at a time and then cut on..if that has to do with anything.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:31 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

By your description, your truck must be 99 or newer. The digital cluster is prone to going in and out due to some of the soldered joints coming unsoldered.

Here is one of the YouTube repairs for this cluster.
Old 11-19-2017, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I mentioned that the odometer was cutting on and off but this has been happening for almost a year. It was untill last night when something started smoking and the back light went out. The truck seems fine but I'm wondering if I should be worried or is it safe to drive. Could it be just that a relay blew out from the cluster?