Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

need help battery dies over night

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 04:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need help battery dies over night

truck dies over night sometimes with in hours i do have HIDs, electric fans, and a system... two weeks ago i started having problems with dead battery(the mods above have all been on truck for over six months i have a 3 month old optima yellow top... altenator tested bad so i replaced it and the problem still continues battery dies with in 6 hours. i had battery tested at autozone they said it was bad ... then i took it to advance auto and they tested it and said something was drawing power battery is ok.... i just dont know where to start i even unhooked the system from the battery
Old 09-10-2011, 05:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi ,. When you unhook the battery, and it still dies, it is definetly the battery
no doubt about it. Sometimes you alternator can be that bad, that it delivers just enough power, but than you'll see that on the gauge at the dashboard. with a short circuit, your fuses will blow out. If there's a short c., there must be something what's not working any more, 'cause the sc eats all the power. Batteries can last years.... but sometimes it happens tha a new battery gives up.

best regards Ton
Old 09-10-2011, 07:34 AM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Using a common 12 volts test light, with everything off, doors closed and hood light disconnected, disconnect the negative battery cable and place the test light between the cable and the battery terminal. Test light will be on bright if there is a current draw. I would start at the A+ terminal of the alternator and disconnect it, if the test light goes out or at least dims, the diodes are shot in the alt and it needs to be replaced. With all the keep alive memories that are present in the truck, the test light not being illuminated slightly is doubtful. The use of an ampere meter connected in series is then necessary to determine exact amount of draw.

25 years ago, I would see a 600 miliampere draw on a functional vehicle with out issues. The common test light would be very faint, if on at all.
Old 09-10-2011, 02:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heyy Bill long time no see!!

Interesting story
best regards Ton
Old 09-10-2011, 03:10 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

Thumbs up Battery problems

As was stated in another reply if the battery goes dead while disconected it is defective Optima is agreat battery as are most A.G.M. batterys but the are verry susceptable to over charging and it will kill them quick if you charge them above 14.3volts especily in high heat conditions. You need to check charge system volts. Also if you do have a parisitic draw indecated by test light with the light conected between the battery and cable remouv fuses one at time if the lite goes out then you know where to start looking

Quick Reply: need help battery dies over night