Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Need help 2000 F150 Triton v8 Engine Knocking

Old 10-14-2014, 09:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help 2000 F150 Triton v8 Engine Knocking

I woke up this morning to head out and noticed I have a very prominent knocking noise when I start my engine. I drove yesterday for a while and never had this noise happen.

This morning is the first time and from a "cold" start this noise begins and doesnt seem to leave once warmed up. I have taken a video and uploaded it so someone may recognize that specific noise. Any help would be appreciated.

I always do oil changes myself with the proper viscosity, so I am pretty sure its not oil related or due to changing viscosity. If any other information is needed, inquire and I will provide it....Its got roughly 125k miles on it.

Link to video:
Old 10-19-2014, 11:11 AM

Problem solved without the help of this ****ty forum. Thanks for...well nothing.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:20 AM

Received 141 Likes on 134 Posts

You can't get mad and flame the whole forum without giving us time to reply. You posted early in the morning, and a good amount of our forum members are in the Midwest.

By the way, the engine ticking is a very common thing with these modular engines.
The following users liked this post:
Rand0Command0 (10-22-2014)
Old 10-19-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 143 Likes on 135 Posts

Sounded like a exhaust leak to me. I was waiting for him to maybe post some things he might have done to help himself. But note to OP, you will probably never get help here with an attitude like that.😭
Old 10-20-2014, 10:04 AM

Yeah yesterdays attitude was definitely not me at my best. Found out 2 $25 dollar seatbelt tickets somehow turned into resisting arrest and over $1k in fines

However, its was just the bearings that werent lubricated enough. After driving around for about 30 minutes, the knocking stopped and hasnt returned.

Thats never happened the over ten years I have driven it. Everything seems to be okay now.

This forum isnt ****ty....just my ****ty attitude yesterday .
Old 10-20-2014, 08:47 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Rand0Command0
Problem solved without the help of this ****ty forum. Thanks for...well nothing.
Now, now, - why don't you tell us how you really feel .

I wouldn't say ****ty, -definitely a younger crowd.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Originally Posted by Rand0Command0

However, its was just the bearings that werent lubricated enough. After driving around for about 30 minutes, the knocking stopped and hasnt returned.

Thats never happened the over ten years I have driven it. Everything seems to be okay now.
Things can add up with time.

Didn't sound like a bearing; oil starvation yes. The fact that it happened at all is concerning. Noisy lash adjusters I expect.

That's usually from NOT using what your manual suggests as far as oil and viscosity. Also sounds like that engine may have seen to many Fram Filters.

I realize you said you take of the oil changes/ maintenance, but somewhere along the line, GOOD maintenance was derailed. These engines will last 300,000 plus miles, hands down if you follow the owners manual and it's maintenance recommendations to a T.

Good luck. The good thing here is these engines are fairly resilient and can take abuse. Just take care of her the best you can.

Regards,

jbrew
The following users liked this post:
Rand0Command0 (10-22-2014)
Old 10-22-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Things can add up with time.

Didn't sound like a bearing; oil starvation yes. The fact that it happened at all is concerning. Noisy lash adjusters I expect.

That's usually from NOT using what your manual suggests as far as oil and viscosity. Also sounds like that engine may have seen to many Fram Filters.

I realize you said you take of the oil changes/ maintenance, but somewhere along the line, GOOD maintenance was derailed. These engines will last 300,000 plus miles, hands down if you follow the owners manual and it's maintenance recommendations to a T.

Good luck. The good thing here is these engines are fairly resilient and can take abuse. Just take care of her the best you can.

Regards,

jbrew
Thanks for the insight. I really appreciate your help. I plan to take it in to the dealership (that already ruined my 89 f150 xlt lariat) and get them to take a look to make sure nothing is wrong. I usually am on point with the maintenance and everything, but I am the second owner of this vehicle. Again thank you for that information. This engine has a lot of life left in it apparently. Actually wasnt sure how long these engines last, so that was good to know.
Also...reading your comment made me laugh....not something I do often...thats how I really feel

Last edited by Rand0Command0; 10-22-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:07 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Valve lifter on it's way out. You should start noticing it more often in cold weather until it warms up, the noise usually stops once the lifter fills and starts holding pressure.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Tractive55LS
Valve lifter on it's way out. You should start noticing it more often in cold weather until it warms up, the noise usually stops once the lifter fills and starts holding pressure.
That makes sense as well seeing as we had our first "cold snap" last week. Ill be sure to mention that to the dealership. Thanks for the information! ^.^

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help 2000 F150 Triton v8 Engine Knocking