Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

My 2003 XL 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2003 XL 2wd

So, I decided to make a little thread for my truck since it's going to go through some nice changes this summer. It's a 4.2, so it's not the fastest, and it's a 2wd, so it's not the biggest, but it's mine and I love the truck.

First, how it looked when I brought it home in July of 2012:

How it looked as of Monday:

It's in the shop right now. Some touching up on the paint was needed (high school parking lots suck for my doors ). Also, I ordered some 4x4 wheels for about 500 bucks, and they will get on tomorrow. I got tired of the tow mirrors, so the stocks will also be put on this week.

Things to come in the future:
Lightning headlights (should be in tomorrow)
Rear Cattleman or Ranch Hand bumper
Rear elocker
Mud tires on back wheels
New speakers
New head unit
Black Toolbox
Rear glass w/ sliding door

If anyone has any ideas for my truck, feel free to post
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM

Received 153 Likes on 46 Posts

excited to see what happens. love the color!
Old 04-16-2014, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

I like the stock mirror look a bit better anyway. Otherwise, you seem to be doing a pretty good job with the mods. I'd suggest going with interior LEDs and possibly exterior also, could put in a center console from an expedition if you have a bench seat and aren't too fond of it. Gauge face change is nice; I'm enjoying mine. 09+ badges are a nice addition, I've got a set of XL's on mine right now actually! I'm considering putting the correct trim-level XLT badges on instead. If thats something you think you'd want to do, just let me know. If you do go with that, grab a fender badge from the limited trucks, and slap that on the tailgate. Raptor style grill lights always make the trucks look pretty good also.

Thats about it... Here's a couple of pictures of what I did. It gives a good visual idea on weather you'd like any of the ideas or not. Good luck with it though! Very beautiful truck so far, and I can only see it getting better!

Old 04-16-2014, 09:17 PM

Thanks 03f150, that helps a lot! Those raptor lights are sick, and I've seen the thread, but I don't quite get how to make a bracket that attaches to the grill to put the led bolts into. Is it just a simple L bracket? Or did you use a different kind of light?

I am planning on keeping the bench seat, because I got the front seat recovered last summer (the previous owner was a smoker with kids, she did not take care of the interior very well).

I also might change the badges eventually, they look pretty darn good.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:21 PM

Received 91 Likes on 86 Posts

Cool truck man. I think it looks better without the tow mirrors. How do you like the rugged terrains? Also do you have lowering shackles in the back?
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by greenheadkiller98
Cool truck man. I think it looks better without the tow mirrors. How do you like the rugged terrains? Also do you have lowering shackles in the back?
Yeah, the tow mirrors look kind of goofy. The rugged terrains are perfect for where I live. I'm on a stretch of dirt road that gets nasty when it rains, so they handle the mud good (to an extent). They are also pretty quiet on the highway.

The truck has stock suspension, but my parking spot and the angle of the pictures make it look low. I'll try to get a picture on level ground sometime.
Old 04-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

Received 548 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_TX
Thanks 03f150, that helps a lot! Those raptor lights are sick, and I've seen the thread, but I don't quite get how to make a bracket that attaches to the grill to put the led bolts into. Is it just a simple L bracket? Or did you use a different kind of light?

I am planning on keeping the bench seat, because I got the front seat recovered last summer (the previous owner was a smoker with kids, she did not take care of the interior very well).

I also might change the badges eventually, they look pretty darn good.
Yuck... smokers... Anyway, they actually don't attach to the grill. Its a simple L bracket that bolts to the header panel. Install is super easy, and should only take about 10-15 minutes max to take it all apart, put it on, and put it all back together.

Its too late tonight, but I will take pictures tomorrow of where I bolted it on.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:43 PM

Got my new wheels and put the stock mirrors on, it make the truck look 10x better imo.

My lightning headlights came in the mail today, so I should be able to install them this weekend! I'm thinking that my next step will be to get a Cattleman rear bumper. It will look like pretty much like this (except I have a different style tailgate/taillights):
Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

[MENTION=132117]03f15012[/MENTION]

I'll trade you 5 minutes with my girl for your center console. Best 5 min of your life.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 91 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh_TX
Got my new wheels and put the stock mirrors on, it make the truck look 10x better imo. My lightning headlights came in the mail today, so I should be able to install them this weekend! I'm thinking that my next step will be to get a Cattleman rear bumper. It will look like pretty much like this (except I have a different style tailgate/taillights):
Looking sweet! No front cattlemen as well?

Quick Reply: My 2003 XL 2wd