Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

More power and milage ideas please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2018, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More power and milage ideas please.

I have a 2000 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton and auto trans. Like everyone else, I would like to have more power and milage out of this engine. I have added a K&N air filter and plan to cut the air box, and replace the "silencer" between the MAF sensor and throttle body with dryer flex pipe or PVC (homemade cold air system). I eventually want to go with a Lightening type short header exhaust system, and electric radiator fan, (from salvage yard) and do away with the belt drive fan.
Is there anything else that I can do on the cheap that I haven't thought of? The exhaust system that I want will have to wait, so any suggestions on cheap mods there will help.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

First get rid of your hot air intake... the K&N draws air from the engine bay... the original pulls air in from the fenderwell. Do the gotts 02 mod instead. Like the many other threads I'm sure you've read (cz you searched this forum before posting right?) cheap and horsepower do not go together.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it would be more appropriate to have said "" homemade MORE air system ", because by thinking on it, you're right. I will check in on that gott 02 thing again. Maybe I missed something. Thanks.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:01 PM

Received 5,543 Likes on 4,622 Posts

Best you can do as far as 02's is to just update all 4 at the same time. It's a switching thing. The faster they switch, the shorter the AF's are in limbo.... = the best mpg's the vehicle is going to get.
Old 05-12-2018, 08:44 AM
Looking for a Henway.

Received 369 Likes on 301 Posts

The stock intake has more than enough airflow for what the engine needs. It is also already a cold air intake.
Many dislike the K&N filter since it filters worse than paper filters.

These engines do not respond to mods well. Only way to get better mileage is to drive more lightly on the throttle. An electric fan may help a little for power and mileage, but minimal at best.
Power wise, nothing cheap will make any difference.

Quick Reply: More power and milage ideas please.