Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Mods needed for a turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mods needed for a turbo?

Hey y'all I'm a long time lurker and I'm finally ready to start my project. I've got a 1998 F-150 Triton V8 4.6L truck that is my platform for learning and toy and my end goal is to eventually get it turbo charged.

My end goal is to make it something fun to drive on my days off and take it to the drag strip once in a while. Anyways, all I'm wanting is a cut a dry list of what is *basically* needed for turbo charging my truck. This isn't something I'm planning on doing over night and it basically just sits in my garage for most of it's life other than using it for my weekends when I'm not driving my work truck.

I've been searching around for something that just cuts to the chase and tells me WHAT are needed and what is recommended. Everywhere I look it's just bull**** talk telling people to STOP what they're doing and just swap engines, buy a lightning ect, ect. I'm trying to learn in my garage and have fun. I don't want to just buy it already in there and done

I want to know what I need to buy over time so I can just get to the turbo and tune it at the end whether it be half a year or maybe next year I get there. During that time I can figure out how to install or where to go to get it properly installed.

All I know is I need:
  • Turbo (duh)
  • Piping
  • Intercooler
  • Blow Off Valve
  • Boost Controller
  • Headers

Anyways, maybe I'm just dumb and not searching hard enough. Thanks guys!
Old 10-20-2015, 11:52 AM
Hooligan

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Start here:
Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance): Corky Bell: 9780837601601: Amazon.com: Books Maximum Boost: Designing, Testing and Installing Turbocharger Systems (Engineering and Performance): Corky Bell: 9780837601601: Amazon.com: Books
The following users liked this post:
Darkshiv (10-21-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel you dude. I get pissed when I go on forums and people automatically tell you "its too hard for you to do" "it can only be done by a pro" "you're better off paying 4x more and buying XYZ."

**** annoys the hell out of me. It's either somebody who is a pro (or close) acting like an elitist trying to keep others loser than himself....or some boobie jealous he doesn't have the ***** to do it.

Go for it dude. Can learn anything online.

I do want to ask though, why start with the 4.6? Why not the 5.4? I assume just because that just happens to be what you have. But I'm sure somebody would be willing to swap. Just curious
Old 10-20-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Holicori
I feel you dude. I get pissed when I go on forums and people automatically tell you "its too hard for you to do" "it can only be done by a pro" "you're better off paying 4x more and buying XYZ."

**** annoys the hell out of me. It's either somebody who is a pro (or close) acting like an elitist trying to keep others loser than himself....or some boobie jealous he doesn't have the ***** to do it.

Go for it dude. Can learn anything online.

I do want to ask though, why start with the 4.6? Why not the 5.4? I assume just because that just happens to be what you have. But I'm sure somebody would be willing to swap. Just curious
Not big difference between 5.4 and 4.6. Just longer stroke
Old 10-20-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 176 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkshiv
Hey y'all I'm a long time lurker and I'm finally ready to start my project. I've got a 1998 F-150 Triton V8 4.6L truck that is my platform for learning and toy and my end goal is to eventually get it turbo charged.

My end goal is to make it something fun to drive on my days off and take it to the drag strip once in a while. Anyways, all I'm wanting is a cut a dry list of what is *basically* needed for turbo charging my truck. This isn't something I'm planning on doing over night and it basically just sits in my garage for most of it's life other than using it for my weekends when I'm not driving my work truck.

I've been searching around for something that just cuts to the chase and tells me WHAT are needed and what is recommended. Everywhere I look it's just bull**** talk telling people to STOP what they're doing and just swap engines, buy a lightning ect, ect. I'm trying to learn in my garage and have fun. I don't want to just buy it already in there and done

I want to know what I need to buy over time so I can just get to the turbo and tune it at the end whether it be half a year or maybe next year I get there. During that time I can figure out how to install or where to go to get it properly installed.

All I know is I need:
  • Turbo (duh)
  • Piping
  • Intercooler
  • Blow Off Valve
  • Boost Controller
  • Headers

Anyways, maybe I'm just dumb and not searching hard enough. Thanks guys!
Why not do a lightning swap? It's completely bolt on.
Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

Good luck with the turbo project. There are some good guys here who have the same desire to learn as you and are willing to help. You do have to sort through a lot of BS though.
Old 10-20-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 797 Likes on 577 Posts

Check out ibd2328's build. He put a turbo in.... Along with a few other things lol
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

Besides the actually items that's need to go turbo there are a bunch of other things that need to be done or at least should be done.

Bigger MAF
Bigger Injectors
Bigger Fuel Pump
PI Heads
Forged Rods
Torque Converter
Tranny Cooler
Tranny Valve Body
Custom Tune
Headers
Turbo
Piping(Cold and Hot Side)
Intercooler
Oil Lines
Intake
And the list goes on and on

I understand people say to do this and do that but sometimes there is a reason for it. The cost to do it correctly/safely/reliable would be huge. Getting a built 5.4L long block and a lightning blower set up would me cheaper, easier and just as fast. Wouldn't require any custom parts and everything would be bolt on. I have down 3 L blower swaps(2 of them being my personal truck). You still learn a lot about them(I have learn so much I actually do work on L&HD trucks as a side job). The swap can be done without getting into custom fab work and a lot more people would be able to help.
Darkshiv (10-21-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:05 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

Take care in choosing your turbo. Decide what kind of boost you want. Instant (smaller turbo and tuned BOV) or more power (bigger turbo and tuned BOV means more lag than smaller). Since you're wanting forced induction, I'd say a full 2.5"/3" dual exhaust or 3"/3.5" single exhaust would work. Don't cheap out on the piping connections, I would recommend v-band clamps and good poly tubes for intercooler (if you want one) to intake tubes. Air to air intercooler would work fine for your application. Blowers use the air to water intercooler usually.

Do a little research on turbo upgrades for the compressor wheel. You can get more power out of cheaper/smaller turbos by doing this than spending more money on a bigger turbo. It will also reduce your lag by going to a smaller compressor. Another thing to consider is changing the internals of your engine. By that I mean going forged. There's quite a few kits out there for the 4.6 since it was also used in the mustang, but remember you want torque to get your heavy truck to move not horsepower.
Darkshiv (10-21-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 394 Likes on 361 Posts

And Wayne beat me to a response. Lol.
Z7What (10-20-2015)

Quick Reply: Mods needed for a turbo?