Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Misfire on cyl 8

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire on cyl 8

Truck is a 97 f150 4.6 vin W.

Ok guys, a little back story. The truck would misfire on cyl 8 about a month or so ago and I found the new plug wire was out. Checked and made sure the plug was tight, it was. Hm, must've not put it on right. Really pushed it down and maybe 50 to 100 miles later it would do it again. My antifreeze blew out of the top of the reservoir tank and the truck got really hot before I noticed. Now the truck sometimes misfires only once it warms up but the more you press the gas the worse it gets. It has new plugs and wires and the distributor. There are no bubbles coming up from the reservoir tank and no white smoke out the tail pipe. So I think the head gasket is ok. I know the injector could be it, but what else? Could the intake manifold gasket have a leak causing it to lean out and misfire, but only once it is warmed up?
Old 12-02-2018, 06:56 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

sounds like the spark plugs burnt up when the engine got hot.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
sounds like the spark plugs burnt up when the engine got hot.

I pulled it out and it was white. How could I tell if its burnt up?
Old 12-02-2018, 11:26 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

What are the exact codes you have? If your truck is actually running lean it will throw a code.

Did you ever replace the #8 plug after the wire came off? If not it could be fouled and misfiring. You should also be using MotorCraft plugs.

It almost sounds like you have two of your plug wires crossed, double check the spark plug wires and make sure they are all connected in the right spots.

Old 12-03-2018, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by NvrDwn
I pulled it out and it was white. How could I tell if its burnt up?
if it is white it is not burnt up. if it was it would look burnt (black)
Old 12-03-2018, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by DirkDiggler87
What are the exact codes you have? If your truck is actually running lean it will throw a code.

Did you ever replace the #8 plug after the wire came off? If not it could be fouled and misfiring. You should also be using MotorCraft plugs.

It almost sounds like you have two of your plug wires crossed, double check the spark plug wires and make sure they are all connected in the right spots.

i think you're on to something here. he could have put the wires on the wrong plugs
Old 12-03-2018, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by DirkDiggler87

No. The plugs were installed 6 months ago. This problem happened months later, and it would happen when cold, not just hot.
Old 12-03-2018, 07:25 PM

Received 6,473 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Are the plug wires seated correctly? There is a flat spot on the boot that should be parallel with the fuel rail.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by white89gt
Are the plug wires seated correctly? There is a flat spot on the boot that should be parallel with the fuel rail.
I'm not understanding what you are trying to explain here.
Old 12-04-2018, 09:46 AM

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by NvrDwn
Truck is a 97 f150 4.6 vin W.

Ok guys, a little back story. The truck would misfire on cyl 8 about a month or so ago and I found the new plug wire was out. Checked and made sure the plug was tight, it was. Hm, must've not put it on right. Really pushed it down and maybe 50 to 100 miles later it would do it again. My antifreeze blew out of the top of the reservoir tank and the truck got really hot before I noticed. Now the truck sometimes misfires only once it warms up but the more you press the gas the worse it gets. It has new plugs and wires and the distributor. There are no bubbles coming up from the reservoir tank and no white smoke out the tail pipe. So I think the head gasket is ok. I know the injector could be it, but what else? Could the intake manifold gasket have a leak causing it to lean out and misfire, but only once it is warmed up?
You should notice coolant leak around the front of the intake manifold if it was leaking, I don't imagine it would be next to cylinder 8 unless it leaked from the front to the back but it doesn't sound like it. Why did your truck over heat initially? Did you flush the coolant and leave a air bubble in there or something? And now it suddenly stopped over heating?

Quick Reply: Misfire on cyl 8