Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Max T-Bar Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 10:49 PM
Cockpit Magician

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question Max T-Bar Question

I crawled under my truck today to crank my T-bars up to level my truck out (the front sits 1.5 inches lower than the back) and noticed that one of my T-Bars was cranked almost all the way up on one side while the other one still had quite a bit of thread to go. I had never adjusted them up to this point and my truck was riding even with them like this. I easily got six full turns out of the left side to raise it up and still have a lot of thread to go but I can't get more than 4 turns on the right one without maxing it out. Is it normal for there to be such a big difference in this? Should I look at some other components that would cause one side to be cranked so much?
Old 12-08-2011, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like your's are the same as mine. I got an alignment yesterday and asked about it. I was told it's normal when people put oversized tires on. I'm running 285 70 R17s. Bought the truck with em on there. I don't really understand why it's just one side cranked all crazy either. Sorry I don't really have anything helpful but you're not alone with this "issue". I'm interested to know about it too.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:42 AM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

It's normal for one side to be turned more than the other, it's the factory's way to deal with the driver side being heavier than the passenger side. Turn them evenly on both sides, so if you can get just four turns on one side then do four turns on the other.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 AM
McPhail131

Yea did mine the other week and they were the same. drivers side cranked way more then the passenger side, so i just crancked em even and it sits fine now
Old 12-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Cockpit Magician

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jd_gray08
Sounds like your's are the same as mine. I got an alignment yesterday and asked about it. I was told it's normal when people put oversized tires on. I'm running 285 70 R17s. Bought the truck with em on there. I don't really understand why it's just one side cranked all crazy either. Sorry I don't really have anything helpful but you're not alone with this "issue". I'm interested to know about it too.
What tires are you running? Do you have stock rims and stock height? I am looking for a set of 285 70 R17 km2s for my truck.

Originally Posted by 4x4wolf
It's normal for one side to be turned more than the other, it's the factory's way to deal with the driver side being heavier than the passenger side. Turn them evenly on both sides, so if you can get just four turns on one side then do four turns on the other.
Thanks for the heads up. I ended up cranking them evenly and got about 1/2 inch out of it. I was having some problems with my passenger side suspension so I was wondering if that was contributing to it being lower. Shoot, I guess I need one of them fancy suspension lifts.
Old 12-08-2011, 04:42 PM
Full-Rut Design & Fab

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

yeah you can run 285/70R17's on stock rims at stock height. i havent taken the time to crank my t-bars yet and have no trouble with rubbing even at full lock
Old 12-10-2011, 02:56 AM

I have BFG all terrains. They're on some ugly old school american racing wheels but i dont have any issues with them rubbing and the t bars are cranked some but not maxed out. Other than that the suspension is stock.

Quick Reply: Max T-Bar Question