Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Low oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low oil pressure

For the last week my trucks oil pressure would flutter when it was warmed up and at a idle(in drive or reverse only!rpms were at its lowest point) when i would be driving it seemed to be normal.

Anyways, the other day i was on my way home from a buddies (doing about 80kmh) and the truck started to make a grinding noise from the motor so i pulled over and it shut off. i went to start it and it wouldnt even turn over, almost as if it was seized? so i got it towed home, left it till the next morning and went out to start it and it fired right up. BUT the oil pressure was only at normal psi (according to the dummy gauge) for 2-3 mins(and sounded fine) then dropped. so i just just it off.

Iv been reading alot about the oil pressure switch, but im not sure what it could be.. any ideas? or has anyone experienced similar problems?
Old 05-13-2012, 11:18 PM

Received 131 Likes on 121 Posts

Idk if this helps you at all but on my car I bottomed it out on a crappy gravel and for 2 days after that ever time I hit the brake to stop the oil pressure light came on on the second day it was almost always on and I took it to my mechanic and it turned out the filter got hit and either it bent the filter our blew out a seem but oil leaked out and I had under half a quart in it so short story maybe your low on oil
Old 05-14-2012, 02:11 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate to even say this, but it sounds like the oil pump my be going out. I'd take it to a shop and have somebody look at it. I know it's gonna cost some $$$, but it's cheaper to have a pro look at rather than have the pump go out and you blow your motor. Good luck buddy.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:21 AM

^x2
Old 05-14-2012, 06:28 AM

Iv already assumed the worst, iv read up on oil pumps and it just sounds like a pain, id honestly rather swap a new 4,6 in.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:43 PM

So about 2weeks ago the truck started to make a rattling noise from the motor, so i pulled over and the truck shut off(the oil press was at 0) and i went to start it and it wouldnt even turn over. so i got it towed home, let it sit there and drained the oil(it seemed ok) let it set for a few days. and it starteed up, but the oil press dropped to 0 after a min of it running.

So the question is what do you guys think it is? bad oil pump?

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure