Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Looking for some help and friendly advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for some help and friendly advice

hello,

me and my boyfriend own a 1998 f150 that has a few issues (the upper and lower intake manifolds leak, ball bearings, and many other things)

we just bought a 2002 f150 4x4 that got in a little accident. (a small car went under it) the front end needs a little work but it drives and sounds amazing.

we were going the fix up the 2002 4x4 by replacing some of the parts from our 1998. we are still figuring out what it needs but i do know it needs a radiator, front driver side axle, theres a bend in the frame.

i know this isn't much info yet but i was just wondering if any body else has down any kind of project like this and if you had any info or advice that could help us out! Please let me know.

i will work on getting some more information and some possible pictures.

Thank you so much!
Old 01-22-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebecca
hello,

me and my boyfriend own a 1998 f150 that has a few issues (the upper and lower intake manifolds leak, ball bearings, and many other things)

we just bought a 2002 f150 4x4 that got in a little accident. (a small car went under it) the front end needs a little work but it drives and sounds amazing.

we were going the fix up the 2002 4x4 by replacing some of the parts from our 1998. we are still figuring out what it needs but i do know it needs a radiator, front driver side axle, theres a bend in the frame.

i know this isn't much info yet but i was just wondering if any body else has down any kind of project like this and if you had any info or advice that could help us out! Please let me know.

i will work on getting some more information and some possible pictures.

Thank you so much!
Welcome from another from Alaska. Where in AK? You do know that there are tons of used parts in Anchorage and the valley for these trucks. Good luck with your project.
The following users liked this post:
Rebecca (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 02:28 PM

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Welcome. With a bent frame, you might be better off using the '02 as a parts truck and fixing the '98.
Rebecca (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Personally we need pictures, then I'd be able to she'd some knowledge on the subject.
Rebecca (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

I would consider selling the 98 as is and taking the money from the sale and fixing the 02. That way you would know that the parts you are putting in the 02 are the right parts. A new radiator is not a big expense or a big repair. Fixing the frame might be a little expensive so I would first get a price.

I salvaged my 98 from a wreak and I initially put a lot of work in it. The guy I bought it from had installed a new cab and bed but forgot to put a lot of the mounting hardware on it. After fixing this and adding new ball joints, tie rod ends, overhaul the transfer case, tune up, changing all belts, hoses, fluids, brakes, the truck is running great and giving me good service in my construction business. I have had it almost 6 years and it is better today than the day I bought it. Your 02 could be the same.
Rebecca (01-22-2013)
Old 01-22-2013, 03:37 PM

akdoggie: i live in juneau, alaska. we dont really have any places like that here but good know can see if they have any parts and would ship here .

rbrais: that is plan B we were hoping to fix and keep the 4 wheel drive truck rather then the rear wheel drive one.

harley9703: i will try and post some pictures tonight or tomorrow of both the trucks and maybe you could give me some helpful tips!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:46 PM

i am not sure he thought about thank Frank_Ford i will have to bring that up to him and see what he says.

he is really hoping to get the 2002 all fix up and nice! since its 4x4 i know he has some big plans for it if we can get the frame fixed.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:18 PM

The 2002 needs a new CV axle just to be clear.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:17 AM
RDNK150

Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Rebecca
The 2002 needs a new CV axle just to be clear.
idk about Alaska but I'm in Boston, Ma and when I totaled my jeep I bought it back from the insurance company and to put it on a frame straightener it would have cost 750-1800 anywhere in between there depending on where you go and how good a deal you can get my buddy did it for free but I picked his brain on what he charges people.

radiator is easy 4 13mm bolts hold the fan take the two 10mm holding the fan shroud and two more 10's holding the top radiator supports disconnect the cooler lines and upper and lower radiator hoses and she's out

cv axle is just a little bit tougher depending on the side you'll probably be into it about 1500-2000 if you can swap everything.

I'd sell the 98 as is for the price it's gonna cost to fix the 02 that would be the smartest move don't have a parts truck sitting in the yard it'll eventually have to get picked up by a flat bed and towed to a junkyard for scrap and it'll probably cost you more to tow it!!

good luck

any questions about the repair feel free to post here on the forum there are plenty of guys/gals that know these trucks to offer tricks and tool sizes to help you out
Rebecca (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Ford Owner

Received 136 Likes on 125 Posts

If you can do the CV joints yourself, you can get it done for less than $200. Here is some from ebay to give you an idea.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Driver...5c6b59&vxp=mtr

If you have the tools, it is really not a bad job as it mostly requires a strong back and not being afraid to get your hands dirty. If you need anything else like shocks, ball joints, brakes, it is a good time to do these also. Like I mentioned, if you DIY, the price of new parts is not bad and they will most likely last you for as long as you own your truck. I would much rather use new parts than spend the time to remove them from one vehicle and install them on another, unless, of course, you are swapping out something like a door seal or other easy to remove part.

Quick Reply: Looking for some help and friendly advice