Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Location of transfer case shift relay module??

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Location of transfer case shift relay module??

1998 f150 4.6l

4x4 won't work. Found no voltage to my shift motor and I'm trying to locat the source of it's power.. According to a diagram I found it comes from relays in this "transfer case shift relay module" but can't find it..

Thank you.
Old 06-15-2011, 09:49 AM

I would like to know this also as I am still debugging my 4x4 system
Old 06-16-2011, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by RobbaDobba82
I would like to know this also as I am still debugging my 4x4 system

After googling like there is no tommorow I came across some info that its sitting behind the dash in behind the radio I will be checking outputs from this "GEM" since it's behind the fuse panel. At least if the GEM is sending proper signals to these relays then I can rule out the GEM and look between the GEM and transfer case motor.

Some guy posted this years ago in this forum. User name is marshall and password is public.
http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/framerq.asp

And there is usefull info here.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/79...ay-for-4h.html
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ICROMAGI
After googling like there is no tommorow I came across some info that its sitting behind the dash in behind the radio I will be checking outputs from this "GEM" since it's behind the fuse panel. At least if the GEM is sending proper signals to these relays then I can rule out the GEM and look between the GEM and transfer case motor.

Some guy posted this years ago in this forum. User name is marshall and password is public.
http://arrc.epnet.com/autoasp/framerq.asp

And there is usefull info here.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/79...ay-for-4h.html
Thanks man I really appreciate it!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:58 PM

Ok so after looking through those links and pouring through my owner's manual and hayes manual I have no idea what I'm looking at under the dash oval. I popped it off, I see relays, I don't know what I'm looking at. Does anybody have a wiring diagram or something that can tell me when relays those are for? I'm currently searching but have come up empty handed so far.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:15 AM

Ok so after looking through those links and pouring through my owner's manual and hayes manual I have no idea what I'm looking at under the dash oval. I popped it off, I see relays, I don't know what I'm looking at. Does anybody have a wiring diagram or something that can tell me when relays those are for? I'm currently searching but have come up empty handed so far.

Good luck getting help on here.

My Symptoms:
turn 4x4 **** = 4x4 dash light comes on but front wheels didn't turn. I heard something on the transfer case make some noise and a click under the oval.

What I found. Turns out that My front diff activator was stuck in 2 wheel drive.. I followed my vacum lines from the solenoids loocated behind the battery (2 of them) I had vacum at the actuator but the lever was not turning. I pried it with a screwdriver and now it works fine.

What is your truck doing and what isn't it doing..

4x4 **** is turned this is what should happen.. This is my newb sequence

Power through **** engages relays under oval. Engages motor on transfer case to tell rears what to do.. This set of relays switches power from one of the solenoids (behind battery on firewall) to the other, one is always running to activate front transfer case activator either open or closed.

I hope this helps to some degree. Good luck and please do share when you find out

P.S
I beleive the signals from 4x4 **** actually go to your GEM and the Gem takes over from there. or something to that effect.

Last edited by ICROMAGI; 06-22-2011 at 07:18 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Good luck getting help on here.

My Symptoms:
turn 4x4 **** = 4x4 dash light comes on but front wheels didn't turn. I heard something on the transfer case make some noise and a click under the oval.

What I found. Turns out that My front diff activator was stuck in 2 wheel drive.. I followed my vacum lines from the solenoids loocated behind the battery (2 of them) I had vacum at the actuator but the lever was not turning. I pried it with a screwdriver and now it works fine.

What is your truck doing and what isn't it doing..

4x4 **** is turned this is what should happen.. This is my newb sequence

Power through **** engages relays under oval. Engages motor on transfer case to tell rears what to do.. This set of relays switches power from one of the solenoids (behind battery on firewall) to the other, one is always running to activate front transfer case activator either open or closed.

I hope this helps to some degree. Good luck and please do share when you find out

P.S
I beleive the signals from 4x4 **** actually go to your GEM and the Gem takes over from there. or something to that effect.
Thanks for the reply man. I will go through the solenoids I guess. What's happening with my truck is exactly nothing. I turn the switch and nothing happens. No clicks, no lights, nothing. I've replaced my windshield to make sure there is no water coming in, I've replaced my GEM with a brand new unit from tasca parts. I haven't tried engaging it manually yet. The dealership I got my truck from said they replaced the actuator motor, I haven't gotten under the truck to check it yet.

Last edited by RobbaDobba82; 06-23-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 06-24-2011, 07:35 AM

Thanks for the reply man. I will go through the solenoids I guess. What's happening with my truck is exactly nothing. I turn the switch and nothing happens. No clicks, no lights, nothing. I've replaced my windshield to make sure there is no water coming in, I've replaced my GEM with a brand new unit from tasca parts. I haven't tried engaging it manually yet. The dealership I got my truck from said they replaced the actuator motor, I haven't gotten under the truck to check it yet.

OUCH!!!!! sounds expensive Sounds like no power.. First place I would check is @ your 4x4 switch.. Make sure it's getting 12 volts DC Then continuity with 0 resistance through that switch..

If your getting power through that switch then perhaps a relay is just not closing.. I've physically heard relays close before that were not infact closing and allowing voltage through. I'd go over any fuse and relay that is inline with 4x4..

Find the coil side to the relays and add 12v DC and prove that your relay is in fact closing.. Or of the relay P/N's are the same then switch them around a bit.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:50 PM

OUCH!!!!! sounds expensive Sounds like no power.. First place I would check is @ your 4x4 switch.. Make sure it's getting 12 volts DC Then continuity with 0 resistance through that switch..

If your getting power through that switch then perhaps a relay is just not closing.. I've physically heard relays close before that were not infact closing and allowing voltage through. I'd go over any fuse and relay that is inline with 4x4..

Find the coil side to the relays and add 12v DC and prove that your relay is in fact closing.. Or of the relay P/N's are the same then switch them around a bit.
Oh yeah, I forgot the switch is what I replaced first because the dealership told me it just needed a switch. As far as I know I've checked all relays 4x4 related but I will check again. Does anybody know what those relays are under the grey oval above the dash? I haven't found ANYTHING on those. I've seen some people say they are for the 4wd system and other says they are for the headlights, neither my owners manual or haynes reference the relays under the grey oval
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot the switch is what I replaced first because the dealership told me it just needed a switch. As far as I know I've checked all relays 4x4 related but I will check again. Does anybody know what those relays are under the grey oval above the dash? I haven't found ANYTHING on those. I've seen some people say they are for the 4wd system and other says they are for the headlights, neither my owners manual or haynes reference the relays under the grey oval
^ bump. Any answers to this guy's question? I have the same symptoms, and despite there being 500 4WD threads, there's not much attention on the relays behind the dash.

TIA.

Quick Reply: Location of transfer case shift relay module??