Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Limited Slip Differential?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 05:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip Differential?

Hey everyone, I am looking into buying a f150. One truck I have in mind is a 1997 f150 4x4 with 110k, black, 5.4v8, stepside, 1 owner, oh and its a reg cab asking price-6000. How do I know if its limited slip or not? I have the same question with another truck I'm looking at,also 1997, white, Lariat, stepside, reg cab, 5.4 triton v8, 140k, flowmaster, window tints, leather seats(owner didnt list whether or not it was 4x4) asking price-3800. How do i know if its lsd or not? I dont know if the description is enough or if I need to actually go and look at it.
thanks,
Dave

Last edited by truckguy; 03-02-2009 at 06:30 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I recall correctly there should be something on the drivers side pillar vin sticker telling what rear end is installed. What the code would be I wouldnt know.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

First, for future reference, All FX4 trucks are limited slip.

There's a few ways to check what you have.

1. Look at the small metal tag attached to one of the rear differential cover bolts, (passenger side of differential). It will have your gear ratio stamped on it. If it has an "L" between the numbers, (example 3 L 73), you have limited slip. If it's just the numbers, (example 3 73), you don't.

2. Look at the axle code on the manufacturer sticker in the door jamb. Then look in your owners manual to find out which axle it is.

3. If you can jack up the back of the truck (both tires off the ground), put it in park and turn one rear tire. If the other rear tire spins the opposite direction, you DO NOT have limited slip. If you can't turn the tire at all, you do.

Having said this, with 100K miles, your limited slip clutches are probably pretty close to shot. Factory limited slip differentials aren't exactly famous for lasting a long time. The good news is that even if it is shot, it's still perfectly driveable, and you won't hurt anything. As the limited slip differentials wear out, they just become regular differentials. At that point you can either replace the clutches, replace the differential, or not do anything and live with it!

Last edited by driver444; 03-02-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-02-2009, 06:28 PM

does anyone know close to how much it woould cost to replace the differential?(if it is limited slip) b/c I definitely want limited slip. Or at least getting it back to being limited slip? I didnt know that when they wear out they become "normal" 2wd. I dont know too much about trucks other than basic maintenance and upkeep.

With that said,
does anyone know about differences in driving a truck as 4wd compared to 2wd (on or off road) . . . like im pretty sure 4wd gets worse mpg, Would 4wd be quicker because it would get better traction? or anything else that would be different in comparison???

Thanks,
Dave

Last edited by truckguy; 03-02-2009 at 06:37 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Basic driving, you probably don't want to travel real fast in 4wd. Older trucks with chain driven transfer cases would wear out real quick, not sure how much of an issue it is in these trucks. More wear on everything when in 4wd though.

MPG worse than 2wd whether its engaged or not due to more drag, and much worse if it is engaged.

Acceleration, basically, if you have enough power to spin the tires, you might get a small acceleration boost off the line in 4wd. After that, its alot slower because it takes alot more power to drive 4 wheels.

Basically drive it in 2wd until you're doing something that requires 4wd, aka mud,snow,etc.

Also, to convert a rear-end, your probably looking at guesstimate $800 an axle through a reputable shop. The spindle/gears/torsion unit will go anywhere from 100 for a basic spindle (no diff action ) to $500+ for a torque multiplying/air-locking etc setup. And any good shop will also replace all the bearings at this time so expect 150+ for a bearing kit, and then the labor.

Last edited by Phate; 03-02-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: Add Info
Old 03-02-2009, 07:25 PM

If you do have to crack that case open to replace the differential, Put in a Detroit True Trac, and use the factory unit as an anchor for your row-boat. It's a much better, stronger limited slip unit that uses gears instead of clutches. It requires no maintenance, and nothing ever wears out. The price is just a few bucks more than the factory Ford Traction-Lock that it came with, and it works 100 times better. I saw it for $544.00 somewhere online. I have one in my 2008, and absolutely love it.

Last edited by driver444; 03-02-2009 at 07:27 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-02-2009, 08:16 PM

Wow, thanks a lot. I guess I will try to stay away from 4wd because this will be my daily driver and I will do my best not to abuse it,AND i dont need it, i wont get any use out of it..... are most 5.4s 4wd, it seems that while im looking for a f150(want a 5.4) 4wd tends to be on most of them. So far I've been searching craigslist(atlanta) and of course the trucktrader mag. Anyone got one for sale? I cant post a Want-to-buy add in the for sales sectiion b/c i havent been a member long enough.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:28 PM

Whooooooooooa there chief!!!!!

It sounds like you just threw your hands up in the air and gave up on 4wd's altogether!!! I hope I didn't discourage you from buying a 4x4. Keep in mind that a 2wd will have the same issues with the rear axle. They too are available both limited slip and not, and may or may not have the same clutch issues. Frankly, ANY 2wd SHOULD have at least a limited slip differential. Otherwise, it's only really 1wd!! I couldn't live without my 4wd.

Also, being 4wd doesn't really place undue abuse on the truck unless you run on the highway (dry road) with it, off-road alot, plow snow, or are rough on your equipment. Occasional use doesn't wear anything out, and for the price difference on a used truck, the one time you need it, you'll be glad you have it.

Yes, I'd say most 5.4s are 4wd. Here in upstate NY, practically every truck is 4wd period.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont mean to steal you thread but this could help you to.

I have a 97 F250 LD with the 3 L 73. It has almost 207000 miles on it and as far as I can tell the LS still works. I've never tried it in park I'll have to do that next time I have it up but in neutral if I spin one tire the other spins the same way. If it wasn't or it was worn out like you said wouldn't the other tire spin the oppisite way.

Also a 97 with 110k thats great like I said mine has 207k

Why do you want a 5.4 so bad. I guess you want to pull something with it. Because thats a gas mileage killer to. If you were gonna have 4x4 and lift it with big tires then by all means go ahead with it but the 4.6 will get you better mpg.
The following users liked this post:
Mefence (10-14-2023)
Old 03-03-2009, 01:42 AM

Part of the reason i want a 5.4 is more power, i do occaisionally haul wood, and stuff to the dump, and furniture......and i hunt a good bit. I guess i see it as there's less wear on a bigger engine when towing/hauling same weight than on smaller engine. I dont own or have ever driven a ford, but from reading some posts(about 60 pages worth) I seem to get the impression that fords are underpowered when compared to other trucks in its class(dodge ram, toyo tundra, and i would never drive a Chevy) so i want the biggest engine out of the 2. I also love the stepside bed and as far as I have browsed it more commonly comes on 5.4s(kind of a crazy reason i know) but i really like that look. As far as underpowered goes the most common n/a mods are intake, exhaust, maybe headers, >>>and a tuner system/chip thing?<<<(which i know squat about) so maybe that will help, but i kinda want something that would perform as well when stock, so i want the bigger engine. Im kind of stubborn about it, but feel free to tell me what you think about engine sizes 4.6 vs 5.4, but i read about 10 threads on the pros and cons of each. I also feel that 4wd will not suit me well enough to justify getting it, I dont go mudding, etc. I have been fine with my 2wd truck and it seems that there's more that can go wrong with it, Im not giving up on them, if i find a good deal i wont pass it up b/c it 4wd, I just dont need it.

Last edited by truckguy; 03-03-2009 at 12:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential?