Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Just what I did to the truck today.

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:58 PM

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Just what I did to the truck today.

Well today I finally was able to give the truck a little attention for once. I'm pretty busy between working full time and going to college full time. First I was able to diagnose my flashing over drive light which was causing the tranny to shift really hard. It ended up being the speed sensor in the rear end and causing the tranny to use high pressure thus throwing the code and light that I got. I was able to clear that and it hasn't come back on yet.

2nd, I was finally able to fix my intermitent wiper blade problem I was having using a great write thats available over on fordf150.net following that hole write up seems to have solved all my problems with that, but only time will tell the truth with this one.

Lastly I was to restore my headlights. I have a couple pics of the process. First thing I did was start off with 600 grit, then worked my way to 1000 then 1500 and finally I cleaned it all real nice and then polished them out. They look practically new again which is amazing considered the condition they were in. Here are some pics

this was after sanding the one the left compared to the one i didnt touch on the right.

the left one is now all polished

finally both headlights back in the truck.

hope you guys enjoyed.

Cheers, Billy
Old 01-18-2011, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks great hopefully my truck im getting in a few days has about the same clarity... if not ill use your same grit sizes and do it my self.... whats the polish???
Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 PM

I just used 3G regular rubbing compound and sand paper from home depot. It's nice to have a block to wrap the sandpaper around since the headlight is basically smooth. Just make sure you spend a good time sanding with each grit. With the 600 don't stop till all the yellow is gone.

No reason to buy an over priced kit either
Old 01-19-2011, 12:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the guy bought the kit for me thats selling the truck but if meguiars 26 dolllar kit lets me down theres a lowes and home depot down the street...thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 AM

No problem, hope it works out for you. Again I can't stress how important the sanding part is.

Quick Reply: Just what I did to the truck today.