Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Ideas to repair holes in bed.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:11 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Ideas to repair holes in bed.

Hey guys I have a 98 3 Door step side F150. When i bought it, it had some rust holes in the inside of the bed. It has about 3 holes in it one it about 2" high and 6-7" long and the other is about 4' high by 5" long. Any body have any good ideas to patch the holes so it will pass inspection? was looking at getting a drop in bed liner or spray on one after i fix the holes. any thoughts would be appreciated. thanks.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the easy thing to do would be to get some pliable sheet metal and JB weld it over the holes as best as you can. If its already rusted through, that part of the bed at least, is trash. Then put a drop in bed liner! What state won't let u have a hole in your bed?
Old 06-12-2012, 06:15 PM

Weld in some sheet metal and drop in a bed liner. No one will know it was repaired. Before you put the drop in, use a rust stopping primer in the bed and then paint at least the bare metal. I would do a quick rattle can bed liner job over the primer. Just to seal up everything and prevent future rust especially if crap gets under there.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea cut out the rusted crap and weld in patches from 16g sheet metal
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another option is to buy a can of long strand fiberglass filler... Also buy a bottle of Ospho rust treatment. Apply Pspho on the rust 24 hours in advance. After the rust turns black you can mix up the long strand fiberglass filler, spread it on the cardboard, attach a hanger to the cardboard, shove it into the hole and pull back on hanger to hold it in place. Once it hardens up in about 5 minutes you can remove the hanger. After that it's just a matter of sanding it smooth, applying more filler to touch up any pitts, and then apply matching car paint.

Just an idea. I do this kind of work for a living.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Jktx21
I think the easy thing to do would be to get some pliable sheet metal and JB weld it over the holes as best as you can. If its already rusted through, that part of the bed at least, is trash. Then put a drop in bed liner! What state won't let u have a hole in your bed?
I live in PA and it wont pass inspection with holes in the bed.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by FordSeriesF
Another option is to buy a can of long strand fiberglass filler... Also buy a bottle of Ospho rust treatment. Apply Pspho on the rust 24 hours in advance. After the rust turns black you can mix up the long strand fiberglass filler, spread it on the cardboard, attach a hanger to the cardboard, shove it into the hole and pull back on hanger to hold it in place. Once it hardens up in about 5 minutes you can remove the hanger. After that it's just a matter of sanding it smooth, applying more filler to touch up any pitts, and then apply matching car paint.

Just an idea. I do this kind of work for a living.
where exactly can you buy this at. can you get it from an auto body store or you gotta buy it online. Was gona weld some metal over the holes but this seems like it would be an easier job and Im having a hard time finding a drop in bed liner for the step side 6.5' bed. I think if i went this route the spray on bedliner would look a little better.thanks for the info!
Old 06-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Tcross, I am a PA state inspector and a hole in the bed passes. As long as it doesn't affect a body mount or allow exhaust gas into the cab, you are good. As for the repair, especially if you plan to paint some liner in there, I would sand/ grind to bare metal. Then prime it and rivet some sheet metal over top. Once you paint it, only you will know its there.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:10 PM

I was thinking about riveting metal in there but didnt know what size to use.Also wanted to look for something that would stop or slow up the rust from spreading. I have know some people that have failed inspection because of the holes in there bed. my buddy had a hole right in the corner of his bed about 6" by 4" and his truck failed inspection until we patched it. I know alot of shops will fail things while others dont but i just moved here and dont know how they are with inspections and really dont want to give them any reasons to screw me around. but what size sheet metal would you use to patch the holes. thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 09:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tcross
where exactly can you buy this at. can you get it from an auto body store or you gotta buy it online. Was gona weld some metal over the holes but this seems like it would be an easier job and Im having a hard time finding a drop in bed liner for the step side 6.5' bed. I think if i went this route the spray on bedliner would look a little better.thanks for the info!
If you just google "long strand fiberglass filler" you will get a lot of options which you can order. Even had it come up on Advance Auto Parts website. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...T%7CGRP2050___

I would buy a can of that as well as regular bondo for touching it up. ONLY the long strand kind will patch the hole. The regular kind is good for touch up and smoothing it out/reinforcing the patch.

The hanger method works great if you can't reach the hole from underneath the truck. If you can reach the hole from underneath you could place the cardboard from underneath with your hand. If you have other questions let me know.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ideas to repair holes in bed.