Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

i want more power!

Old 09-02-2011, 02:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default i want more power!

well i love my truck allot! and to be honest i wouldnt change anything about it other then i want it to have more power, iv seen allot of people complaing about there 4.6's being very gutless mine will hit 100mph it just takes her awhile id like it to have alittle more pep what are some ways to give it alittle more power?? would a programmer help allot?? anything else?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 165 Likes on 69 Posts

Programmer would be the best first step. Gives the best bang for the buck as far as power and improving shift points. I still have my monochrome Gryphon from my old truck. Pm me for more info.
Old 09-02-2011, 10:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X2 on the programmer, also an intake helps. Electric fans will also help your throttle response and bottom end. exhaust is a debate, i don't really think it helps much if any but with an intake and chip it justs helps you get the most.

But most of all, there is no replacement for displacement! bigger motor lol
Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 AM

Received 94 Likes on 94 Posts

Headers and exhaust would be the first step alot of people will disagree with that but that's my opinion then go with a programmer or a chip then give it a cold air intake and a aftermarket throttle body yes it woulnt be cheep but shop aroud horsepower ain't free lol
Old 09-02-2011, 12:33 PM
zap

Originally Posted by garbill2003
Headers and exhaust would be the first step alot of people will disagree with that but that's my opinion then go with a programmer or a chip then give it a cold air intake and a aftermarket throttle body yes it woulnt be cheep but shop aroud horsepower ain't free lol
Diesel hp is cheap. lol Most exhaust don't do a lot because of the way companies do cat back setups that keep the Y after the cats and then Y back out to a dual exhaust at the muffler. Best way it to run true duals so your only 4 cylinders through a pipe that you would normally run 8. X pipes true up the sound so the tone is even across the banks.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:06 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want more power (real power, not imagined), you will have to pony up and get a new F150 v6 Ecoboost which gets better mileage and has more usable power than any of the older F150 engines (0-60, 6.1 seconds). Sorry for the tough love. I didn't buy a race car I bought a truck, so I will stick with my older F150 truck which I use to haul stuff which is what it is made to do and it does it better than any other truck I know of. The point is you can spend all that money on modifications, but the first time you come up against a new V6 Ecoboost, it will blister you and show you what real power is and do it using a lot less gas.
When Ford puts their new small diesel (that they are selling in Europe but not the US even though it was made to fit in an F 150) into the F 150, I might think about getting a new truck but until then, I am keeping my older 150. I don't want another gasoline vehicle of any kind, diesels are superior and always have been.
Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

different gears will help to, not technically more HP but will make the most of what you do have
Old 09-02-2011, 02:08 PM
zap

Originally Posted by 09FordFX4
different gears will help to, not technically more HP but will make the most of what you do have
Depending on the gear it will be either more torque or less torque. You can gain torque in a transmission and rear end. You loose power.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My buddy has the same truck and motor as me. 4.6 But he has 3.73 gears and I have 3.55 and he smokes me. But his gas mileage is worst then mine. I have been wanting a little more power my self and pondering same thing. Programmer or gears. I would like to go with a programmer but theirs so many to chose from. It makes it hard to chose not knowing exactly what each on does. They all have a bunch of claims, but which ones are true is the tricky part. I will be watching this thread.
Old 09-03-2011, 02:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robd
My buddy has the same truck and motor as me. 4.6 But he has 3.73 gears and I have 3.55 and he smokes me. But his gas mileage is worst then mine. I have been wanting a little more power my self and pondering same thing. Programmer or gears. I would like to go with a programmer but theirs so many to chose from. It makes it hard to chose not knowing exactly what each on does. They all have a bunch of claims, but which ones are true is the tricky part. I will be watching this thread.
Can't go wrong with the edge. Lots of ppl have it and love it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: i want more power!