Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

I Want to Install Running Boards on a Truck that Didn't Manufacture With Them.

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I Want to Install Running Boards on a Truck that Didn't Manufacture With Them.

What do I need to know?

It's a 2001 F150 XL, 4.2 V6 with 2 "half doors". I see used OEM and aftermarket kits, but no one talks about drilling holes in the truck, etc... to mount them, so I ASSUME that all the trucks have premade mounts for running boards, but I need someone to tell me this, if it's true.

Otherwise I wonder about mounting dimensions, are some parts going to be too long, not long enough, etc.... I prefer the factory "oval tube" style, but those seem to sell for a premium, even if they are used. I just wonder if running boards that came off a standard cab 2010 F150 will fit an extended cab, 4-door built in 2001.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:17 AM
mbb

Received 895 Likes on 736 Posts

Sounds like you mean nerf bars, not running boards

Why not buy something designed to fit, and follow the instructions.......
Old 01-30-2019, 06:29 AM
Driving the wheels offer

Received 156 Likes on 133 Posts

Anything can be made to fit - from electronically detracting step to a 2x6 bolted to the frame. How much fabrication do you want to do? I put nerf bars on my 2001 without drilling - of course all the metal that was there back then has now rusted away and been replaced so it wouldn't be as easy today.

something like this

https://runningboardwarehouse.com/sh...rs-212420.html
Old 01-30-2019, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by mbb
Sounds like you mean nerf bars, not running boards

Why not buy something designed to fit, and follow the instructions.......
I'm buying used. I personally do not want them, but my wife is recovering from major surgery and needs an intermediate place to step and maybe stand on. Since I posted this thread I did some more research and yes, I do mean "nerf bars". I guess. It's a goofy and meaningless word to me. I've actually never heard it before I started thinking about "running boards", and this is the first time I've ever thought of those.

Originally Posted by 01-7700
Anything can be made to fit - from electronically detracting step to a 2x6 bolted to the frame. How much fabrication do you want to do? I put nerf bars on my 2001 without drilling - of course all the metal that was there back then has now rusted away and been replaced so it wouldn't be as easy today.

something like this

https://runningboardwarehouse.com/sh...rs-212420.html
Yes, something exactly like that. I looked underneath the truck last night in the dark with a flashlight and I found two oval shaped holes roughly in front of and behind the two doors on the passenger side, and they each had two small holes drilled in their general area. One oval was totally open, and the other had a rubber seal over it. Are these the mounts for the nerf bars/running boards?

I apologize for not asking my question right in the OP. I'm much smarter now. Should I post a pic of these oval holes? Are they "one size fits all"? I'm buying used, do not have and cannot use a welder, etc...do not want to do ANY "fabrication". I want to buy them, bolt them on and be done with it. There's so many different varieties and no information on mounting unless you buy new, which I don't want to do. I can find used Nerf Bars for $50 to $100 dollars. I've never messed with them before, and so have no clue what I'm getting myself into.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:28 PM
Driving the wheels offer

Yes. The brackets attach to the rocker panels in the area of the oval holes. There is also a reinforcement bar that bolts to the frame.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 01-7700
Yes. The brackets attach to the rocker panels in the area of the oval holes. There is also a reinforcement bar that bolts to the frame.
I took two photos. Both are on Passenger side, first is Front. Second is rear, away from engine. Rear area has large Oval hole, but no additional smaller holes, and odd rectangle hole with 3 smaller holes, Front has large Oval hole, with 2 smaller "drill" holes. None of this metal seems structurally strong enough to support heavy metal Nerf Bars, plus the weight of someone standing on them.

"What's this #1?" had a piece of tape I pulled off just before taking the picture.

"What's this #2?" is a round circular hole with rubber seal over it that looks like the one in the front.

I wonder about "mounting systems" and if this is set-up for multiple systems, or only one. How can I look at a set of used Nerf Bars and tell if they can be mounted to my 2001 F150? While looking at Nerf Bars on eBay I noticed some were called "Lund". Assume this is an aftermarket manufacturer. Again I'm trying to learn how to tell what will and will not work on my truck before I pay for it.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:11 PM

Here's an example of what I'd like to buy. Used, factory-original nerf bars for less than $100. But I have no way of knowing if they can actually install on my truck.

I can't imagine how the holes I'm seeing under the truck are somehow going to connect with those odd-shaped "hooked" mounts on the nerf bars.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:12 PM
Driving the wheels offer

take a look at the hardware pictures here

https://www.americantrucks.com/barri...lack-9703.html

the plates with double bolts go in the oval holes and bolt the hanging brackets to the rocker panels
Old 01-30-2019, 03:14 PM
Driving the wheels offer

Originally Posted by Tyrone_White
Here's an example of what I'd like to buy. Used, factory-original nerf bars for less than $100. But I have no way of knowing if they can actually install on my truck.

I can't imagine how the holes I'm seeing under the truck are somehow going to connect with those odd-shaped "hooked" mounts on the nerf bars.

yeah, those are different than the ones i had - no idea how you would mount those without extra hardware
Old 01-30-2019, 07:08 PM

Received 249 Likes on 217 Posts

First only 98 to 03 super cab will fit your truck. Your best bet is to go after market. Ford is only showing nerf bars for super crew witch would be to long.

Quick Reply: I Want to Install Running Boards on a Truck that Didn't Manufacture With Them.