Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

I got my Key Fob today and here are the results.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 03:53 PM
Ugly trucks need lovin to

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I got my Key Fob today and here are the results.

Received a set of key fobs today that I ordered from Amazon the other day (Got them in two days - Prime). Very easy to program and the fobs seem very durable. Came with batteries so all I had to do was program them, took 10 seconds.

1. Have both key fobs in hand.
2. insert ignition key and close the doors.
3. turn off and on the ignition 5 times within 10 seconds (or 7 times in some trucks), you should hear the door locks cycle.
4. press any button on the fobs, do both of them during this session.
5. you should hear the locks cycle once again.
6. remove ignition key
7. test all button functions.

Note: If you DO NOT have key fobs and want to test your vehicle to see if fobs will work, try turning off and on your ignition 5 times (or 7 times in some trucks) within 10 seconds and if you hear the door locks cycle then you are key fob ready.

Note: If you decide to do one fob at a time then when you go to program the second one it somehow disables the first one. So you purdy much have to do both at the same time (same session). Otherwise, take the first one and stick it in the microwave while you program the second one.

Anyhoot, well worth the $30 I spent for the pair. The wife is happy, she said she feels more modern now...lol!

Thank you to the good folks of this forum who helped me determine if I could have key fobs and how to program them, this forum is awesome!
Old 09-30-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good stuff! I've seen writeups before, but it's nice to see someone doing it more recently.

Question for you, since I'm on the fence about getting fobs as I have to fix my door lock actuators: When you hit the unlock button, do the Tail Lights flash, and the cargo light come on? It's different for every generation, so I was just curious.
Old 09-30-2017, 05:33 PM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

Awesome

Some have reported some aftermarket fob range is less than stock. My oem will work locks about 100-150' away. And from inside house. Some cheap chinese ones have reported to be 15'. Might been the cheap batts though too.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Originally Posted by TJ1996
Good stuff! I've seen writeups before, but it's nice to see someone doing it more recently.

Question for you, since I'm on the fence about getting fobs as I have to fix my door lock actuators: When you hit the unlock button, do the Tail Lights flash, and the cargo light come on? It's different for every generation, so I was just curious.
I can answer that. Yes the cargo comes on. The taillights on mine do not, nor the headlights. My Mustang the tail and headlights come on.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:38 PM

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Ive bought one before. They break on my key ring and I dont like carrying them around. If a key were offered that had the remote on it I might get it. otherwise I'll live without
Old 09-30-2017, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by TJ1996

In my case the headlights and taillights flash but the cargo light does not come on for some reason. It would have been nice if my cargo light stayed on for a minute or so... oh well.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by mbb
Awesome

Some have reported some aftermarket fob range is less than stock. My oem will work locks about 100-150' away. And from inside house. Some cheap chinese ones have reported to be 15'. Might been the cheap batts though too.
I just tested the range after reading your comment and I was able to set off the panic button from about 80" outside walking down the street while the truck was in the driveway. I'm using the battery that came with the fobs so it might be low but either way, 80" aint too shabby.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jethat
Ive bought one before. They break on my key ring and I dont like carrying them around. If a key were offered that had the remote on it I might get it. otherwise I'll live without
Like a Volkswagen key? Yeah, I know what you mean. I hate pocket bulges too.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
I can answer that. Yes the cargo comes on. The taillights on mine do not, nor the headlights. My Mustang the tail and headlights come on.
For some reason my cargo lights don't come on. Just the brake and headlights flash.
Old 09-30-2017, 06:44 PM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Maybe up to 100' is all you can get out of these trucks with factory systems. You can get up to 150 if you use it under your chin with your mouth open. It honestly works. Looks stupid as hell, but works.