Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

How to make my daily better

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post How to make my daily better

I have a 2000 4.6 Rwd Lariat that is my daily driver that i am trying to upgrade. By up grade i don't mean making it a hot rod or putting a huge lift on it or mudding tires, I'm just trying to make this truck last as long as possible and drive as best as possible.

i bought this truck off of my grandfather 3 years ago when i was 17. The truck to this day still looks brand new and is in excellent condition. i do not know to much about cars and i am just looking for some advice on what upgrades i should make this truck run even better. the truck has 260,000 Km on it and still runs great there are just a few things i want to improve.

i have already had a K&N intake put on it as well as a throttle body spacer (was a gift, Before everyone says it was a waste of money). it also has a dual exhaust with a 250 CATback put on it.

the main things i am trying to improve is:

-Get better economy (anything will help)
- Have it start easier( has trouble even when i plug car in- Live in Northern Canada)
- a little bit more power for hill driving ( Driving around lots of hills while i drive home every summer from university)

Im not looking to brake the bank on this truck but im not to scared to put money into this truck if it helps it last longer.

like i said i don't know much about cars but I've been looking at things like gear change to 4.10 or 4.56, Edge/SCT programmer, Throttle body, Headers, Underdrive pulleys...ect.

you guys know better then me, so im just looking for whats your guys opinions on this or what things have work for any of you?

Thanks

Last edited by selly91; 03-13-2017 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:38 PM
Title

Received 497 Likes on 414 Posts

The best thing you can do is change all the fluids and replace any worn suspension components. Then replace the battery with a good reputable brand. Replace fuel filter, plugs, coil, clean the MAF, change the air filter, check the brakes. That will reach your goals.

Gears and a programmer are a good start for mods. Long tubes are OK too. Ebay the throttle body.

Keep it as stock as possible and you'll get to where you need to be, without issue.

Last edited by Tackle; 03-13-2017 at 10:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Tackle:
F150ken (03-14-2017), selly91 (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:47 AM
mbb

Received 890 Likes on 732 Posts

Your in search of a golden unicorn. It dont exist.
There is almost nothing that will make the truck better and more reliable
Except diligent routine maintenance , fluids, and repairs

Headers might add power, but you lose mpg and can they have short life and leakage issues, heat issues, etc

Gears...more power....more engine wear too, runs more revs all the time.

Most modifications wont payout in savings on gas either

Theres one I can think of that I would do...quality electric fan swap ...that will save power and mpg. Might payout. Eventually. Aftermarket kits are reported low quality however. Oem fans of some type are best.

And a superduty tranny cooler...with changes every 25k, drive it like an old man.

Last edited by mbb; 03-14-2017 at 05:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
F150ken (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 01:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

drive it like an old man is the best advice. haha