Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

How to determine lift size

Old 09-23-2013, 06:48 PM
http://www.f150*****.com/

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
Default How to determine lift size

I'm about to buying some new shocks, but I do not know exactly what size lift my truck has, im thinking 4, but I want to be sure. What are the ways to determine lift size? It is a Fabtech lift
Old 09-23-2013, 07:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckshot482
I'm about to buying some new shocks, but I do not know exactly what size lift my truck has, im thinking 4, but I want to be sure. What are the ways to determine lift size? It is a Fabtech lift
You can search by your year make and model on the fabtech site. But most shocks ive seen will give a range for lift applications i.e. 0-2 in lift 4-6 and so on. Hope this helps!
Old 09-23-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 871 Likes on 695 Posts

On a lifted truck I always measure and select shocks according to the measurements I take. I have busted to many shocks and even as far as cracking a shock mount due to companies saying that this shock is what you need and it being the wrong size.

Here's what you do:

With the truck parked level on the ground, measure from center of bolt hole on lower shock mount to the mounting bracket on the top. For example lets use 30" as your measurement. If you still running bump stops measure from bumper stop to axle. Lets say that measurement is 6".

Get on whatever brand shock site you want to buy and read the measurements of there shocks.

You want to take the fully compressed and fully expanded sizes and find the median of those two number closest to the measurement off your truck. For example a shock 20" compressed and 40" expanded would be perfect. That would give you 10" of shock travel each way. BUT if you only have 6" of downward travel due to the bumpstop you can find a shock that let's you get more expanded travel. Understand what I mean?

Wayne
Old 09-23-2013, 09:09 PM
F150 Manic

Received 112 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Buckshot482
Is yours a 4x4? If so the fabtechs are 6 inch lift
Old 09-23-2013, 09:52 PM
http://www.f150*****.com/

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by harding01screw
You can search by your year make and model on the fabtech site. But most shocks ive seen will give a range for lift applications i.e. 0-2 in lift 4-6 and so on. Hope this helps!
All I saw was the 6 inch, but at one time I thought I saw a 4

Originally Posted by Z7What
On a lifted truck I always measure and select shocks according to the measurements I take. I have busted to many shocks and even as far as cracking a shock mount due to companies saying that this shock is what you need and it being the wrong size.

Here's what you do:

With the truck parked level on the ground, measure from center of bolt hole on lower shock mount to the mounting bracket on the top. For example lets use 30" as your measurement. If you still running bump stops measure from bumper stop to axle. Lets say that measurement is 6".

Get on whatever brand shock site you want to buy and read the measurements of there shocks.

You want to take the fully compressed and fully expanded sizes and find the median of those two number closest to the measurement off your truck. For example a shock 20" compressed and 40" expanded would be perfect. That would give you 10" of shock travel each way. BUT if you only have 6" of downward travel due to the bumpstop you can find a shock that let's you get more expanded travel. Understand what I mean?

Wayne
Thanks I will do that tomorrow, I'm thinking about just getting the part number off of the fabtech shocks I have already and just order those again. My fronts ones are shot completely
Originally Posted by 4x4wolf
Is yours a 4x4? If so the fabtechs are 6 inch lift
Yes it is, but I thought I saw 4 at another time. I could be wrong though, I have been wrong a time or two.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:49 AM

Received 434 Likes on 419 Posts

Fabtech has never made anything other than a 6" lift for these geeration trucks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to determine lift size