Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

How big of a risk am I taking by doing the gearing myself?

Old 09-13-2011, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How big of a risk am I taking by doing the gearing myself?

I really want to regear the blue turd to 4.56 but dont want to pay the big money to have someone else install it... Is this a No No or is this something I can handle?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah dude its not that hard at all...first off you will need new pinion bearings and races just make sure you do the bearing preload correctly and if you go to far you have to replace the crush sleeve and re do it... they are not reuseable once they have been crushed too much... what i have done in the past is since i was using the same axle housing and just swappin gears i use the same side bearing and pinion shims by doing this my pattern and my backlash has been close to perfect... just be sure you use a dial indicator and check all of the measurements.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's very easy. Did mine about a month ago for the first time. Go to Youtube do a search. There are a ton of them on there showing how to do it. Take your time ,make sure backlash is in specs and you will be fine.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:08 AM

pay for it cause if you do it wrong you can blow up your axle pretty much it will destroy the carrier
Old 09-14-2011, 07:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by lifted98_f150
yeah dude its not that hard at all...first off you will need new pinion bearings and races just make sure you do the bearing preload correctly and if you go to far you have to replace the crush sleeve and re do it... they are not reuseable once they have been crushed too much... what i have done in the past is since i was using the same axle housing and just swappin gears i use the same side bearing and pinion shims by doing this my pattern and my backlash has been close to perfect... just be sure you use a dial indicator and check all of the measurements.
This is very true, I have had great luck myself as long as you use a QUALITY gear set! 95% of the time I have been able to reuse the same pinion shims and carrier shims and my settings come out perfect. The trick is definitely getting the preload on the pinion bearing and crushing the crush sleeve, those things take some serious torque!!! We usually use a 4ft breaker bar and that still takes some force!
Old 09-14-2011, 12:19 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Its not as bad as people try to make it sound. Its very doable. Just do your research and like RobD said...YOUTUBE. As long as you get your measurements within spec it will be good to go.

good luck with it, let us know how it goes.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just remember the saying " it's not the mechanic, it's the tools".
Tools man, use the right tools. Beg, borrow, steal. For the love of all that is sacred and holy, use the right tools. Other than that, I would bet you can do it.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 PM

I've done gears in a 8", 9", and 8.8"

It is not easy by any means, but its very doable.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:33 PM
King of Useless Mods

I put in a Limited Slip Diff myself.

http://www.motorz.tv/blog/2668/ford-f150-gear-swap/
Old 09-14-2011, 07:42 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by pickupsrule
Just remember the saying " it's not the mechanic, it's the tools".
Tools man, use the right tools. Beg, borrow, steal. For the love of all that is sacred and holy, use the right tools. Other than that, I would bet you can do it.
Words from a wise man. I remember when i started as a tech it took quite a while for me to do somethings...until me and the tool guy had a chat and i got into the right stuff. makes jobs SOOOOOO much easier.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How big of a risk am I taking by doing the gearing myself?