Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Horn quit working

Old 04-15-2019, 01:27 AM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Horn quit working

I bought a used 2002 Ford F-150 couple years ago.
The horn button on this truck has been very sensitive from the first day I bought it. It seems all one would have to do is blow on the steering wheel to set the horn off. It was that sensitive.

A couple weeks ago, I was parking my truck and hit the door lock button on the key fob and the lights blinked when the doors locked but the horn did not sound. I checked by pressing the horn button, and I got nothing.

I have replaced the relay and checked the fuses in both power box and fuse panel and those are good. Is it possible that both horns stopped working at the same time or could this be an issue with the horn button itself? I haven't yet check any of the wiring, but I really don't suspect it's a wiring problem due to corrosion or dirt since it's an Arizona truck and has been since it was purchased new.

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. I do have a repair manual for this truck, is it terribly difficult to open the steering wheel and replace the horn button or would it be better to have a mechanic do it?
Old 04-15-2019, 06:38 AM

Received 6,466 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Could be the horn switch, could be the clockspring, maybe a bad ground.....
Old 04-15-2019, 12:24 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

it's probably the horn switch, which is located in the steering wheel. the steering wheel isn't that difficult to remove
The following users liked this post:
RCButler (04-23-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 02:15 PM
pas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. I began by checking relay which was fine. Went to check ground at horn and horn was covered with leaves that accumulated. Cleaned off leaves. Didnt think it would do anything. But it fixed problem LOL. Horn works fine and maybe its just me but sounds louder than ever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Horn quit working