Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Help with off road lights!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Help with off road lights!

So this question is for those of you who have off road lights. What is the best way to hook them up? The battery I have is not the best so do you all think I would have to get a new one? I am going to be buying my N-Fab prerunner light bar soon and am going to have 2 hella 500ff driving lights and 2 hella 500 fog lights on it. Any help would be great thanks!!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:27 PM
Resident light whore

Received 751 Likes on 614 Posts

You'll want a new battery. I hooked my relays to the battery solenoid vs the battery itself
Old 01-06-2013, 08:42 PM

Yea that’s what I figured. Any suggestions on a good battery? that won’t kill my wallet.. lol
Old 01-06-2013, 08:46 PM

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

Have a wiring kit for them? Positive to positive side of battery other side to switch, switch to lights, negative to negative side of battery. You can see how long the battery will last, just make sure you only turn them on when the truck is running so it's charging your battery. Get the battery tested.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
Resident light whore

The hella 500's come with a full relay kit and switches
Old 01-06-2013, 09:23 PM

Ya I got the whole kit to wire them up
Old 01-06-2013, 10:21 PM
will run you OVER

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by BrowningSCrew
You'll want a new battery. I hooked my relays to the battery solenoid vs the battery itself
he wont need a new battery....unless his just barely runs the truck... Im still running the same kind of battery my truck came with from the factory...and Ive ran 4 hella 500s, 4 hella 700s, 4 rigid duallys, HIDs, 42" LED light bar, 6" rigid LED, 2 55W aux bed lights....all at once.... I think his will be just fine

Originally Posted by 01SilverCrew
Have a wiring kit for them? Positive to positive side of battery other side to switch, switch to lights, negative to negative side of battery. You can see how long the battery will last, just make sure you only turn them on when the truck is running so it's charging your battery. Get the battery tested.
you got most of it right (atleast IMO)

pos from battery to relay hot
relay will have a ground, you can use a bolt thats on metal, dont HAVE to run it to the neg on battery...
ull have a wire from the relay (will be black, that splits, that goes to the hot on the lights, i think its blue. black on the light is ground)
the last post on the relay goes to your switch (middle post i think)
they say the switch needs a hot for the LED to light up when its on
and the switch needs a ground.

you can wire up 4 hellas on one relay/switch. then you wont have a switch for every pair.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Resident light whore

Originally Posted by 01f1502wd

he wont need a new battery....unless his just barely runs the truck... Im still running the same kind of battery my truck came with from the factory...and Ive ran 4 hella 500s, 4 hella 700s, 4 rigid duallys, HIDs, 42" LED light bar, 6" rigid LED, 2 55W aux bed lights....all at once.... I think his will be just fine

you got most of it right (atleast IMO)

pos from battery to relay hot
relay will have a ground, you can use a bolt thats on metal, dont HAVE to run it to the neg on battery...
ull have a wire from the relay (will be black, that splits, that goes to the hot on the lights, i think its blue. black on the light is ground)
the last post on the relay goes to your switch (middle post i think)
they say the switch needs a hot for the LED to light up when its on
and the switch needs a ground.

you can wire up 4 hellas on one relay/switch. then you wont have a switch for every pair.
Yeah I just meant if its weak
Old 02-09-2013, 10:51 PM

Ok guys I finally got my prerunner bar and got it put on the truck. I also got a set of Hella 500 ff driving lights and mounted them.... However I can not get the dam things to work. I wired them up like the Hella diagram says except I ran the green wire straight from the battery to the switch because I don't want to splice into the factory harness. But what is really wired is I can get them to light up if I mess with the fuse on the the green wire which is the power to the switch but only when the switch is in the off position. And if you flip the switch to "on" the lights go out and wont come back on unless you mess with the fuse on the power to the switch again. Any idea what it could be? I have replaced the switch because I couldn't get anything to happen with the one from Hella it won't even light up so I figure that switch is bad. But what else could be wrong? could it be the relay?
Old 02-09-2013, 10:52 PM
Resident light whore

Originally Posted by mattmark6
Ok guys I finally got my prerunner bar and got it put on the truck. I also got a set of Hella 500 ff driving lights and mounted them.... However I can not get the dam things to work. I wired them up like the Hella diagram says except I ran the green wire straight from the battery to the switch because I don't want to splice into the factory harness. But what is really wired is I can get them to light up if I mess with the fuse on the the green wire which is the power to the switch but only when the switch is in the off position. And if you flip the switch to "on" the lights go out and wont come back on unless you mess with the fuse on the power to the switch again. Any idea what it could be? I have replaced the switch because I couldn't get anything to happen with the one from Hella it won't even light up so I figure that switch is bad. But what else could be wrong? could it be the relay?
Is the fuse all good? And the ground?

Quick Reply: Help with off road lights!