Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

HELP! My water thermostat says HOT but my motor is NOT!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! My water thermostat says HOT but my motor is NOT!

Ford F150 1999 V6.
Im looking for ideas:

1) My truck's water gauge is pegging past red usually after a few miles on the highway
2) My AC will then cut out
3) The first few times I pulled over, turned it off, let it cool, then continue
4) But it only took 15 minutes to return to normal
5) After a few times at this I realized my truck was not actually running hot. No boiling sound from the block. No overflow. engine was running just fine, no pinging, no rough idle, etc. I've seen how a hot engine runs.
6) The hot light will go on once the gauge goes to HOT.
7) At one time the guage just went back to the middle for no reason.

I assumed it was a temperature sensor. The cyclinder head temperature sensor and the thermostat was replaced. The the scan tool reads 230 while the guage shows normal.

There is absolutely no indication the engine is running hot. Another thing...the intake air temp is also pegged at 230 even with a new air temp sensor. And the gas gauge shows empty even after putting in gas. This will eventually return to normal.

Any ideas?
Old 07-19-2017, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine does something similar, and my oil pressure gauge will drop to 0 after I've been driving 15 minutes or so when I let off the gas to slow down. It jumps right back up if I give it just a little gas. I read in a thread some time back that the wiring grounds get corroded or greasy from oil leaks and that screws with the low voltage or low amperage electricity from the sending units because the circuit has to ground back to the battery or through the main ground. I cleaned a couple of ground points on mine but haven't driven it because it has a flat. I've asked the question of how many ground points are they total and where are they all. I'm going to have to build a platform so I can lay over in the engine compartment and get a better look.