Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Help my 01 f150 r470w wont move forward!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 03:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my 01 f150 r470w wont move forward!

It was sitting at year and was delaying shifting into foward the day i put it back on the road 3 days ago I drove it and after 20 miles of driving it was going into neutral at stops i got it home it drove perfect after take off then today i got in it reverse but not moving forward! Could this be a dirty valve body? Truck is at 253k and when I drove this truck the most when I first bought it 4 years ago it would go into neutral and bang into gear if i got on the gas hard so I drove it easy and never had a problem, i tried putting it into 1st and 2ed gear and still nothing and tried od off, i put Lucas transmission in it hoping it will unstick something, what are things I can try from my understanding if it were one of the solenoids it would drive but be stuck in 2ed, is this true?

Update i just tested the f150 and now it won't drop out of gear at a stop sighn like before but once I put it in park or reverse it takes maybe 300-400 rpms from idle to engage, i think the Lucas is helping clean the valve body? I'm going to drain it again after a good drive as to not over soften seals, i was going to use the seafoam transmission but I thought I'd try the Lucas incase of a bad seal (in which case to move it around my driveway till i get the tranny fixed) but I couldn't really tell, if the valve body will it improve with the Lucas as a cleaner? Will a highway drive help? Been sitting over a year the hard tranny down shifts stopped im thinking the valve body was stuck in a different way before than it is now😁 my health isn't to good atm (bad breathing problems that no medicine helps) from a hernia im awaiting surgery for soon, this truck is one of three of my trucks and one of 7 of my cars so I just want to free it up then take it off the rd for now so any advice even of a temporary fix is appreciated! I'm paying a friend to drain the trans for me next week which fluid should i replace it with? Also even though the truck sat i started it 3 times a week in the winterand 1 time a week in the summer and had moved it many times in the driveway. Big thing I forgot when I bought the truck the dipstick tube had a big hole rotted in it, the transmission had water in it im sure from the passengers tire kicking up rain, could something be hung up on rust?

Last edited by Joesalerno91; 09-25-2019 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:32 AM
mbb

Received 892 Likes on 734 Posts

So to paraphrase:

Broken when bought
Possible water in tranny in past
Obviously not maintained
Sat years
Sitting didnt fix it
Lucas didnt fix it
At a loss.

I would hire someone to repair it, sell truck, or shop for a used transmission from scrapyard.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:13 AM

Received 6,473 Likes on 4,610 Posts

Orrrrr.... you could give us the whole story. Chasing things that you've already been told, not reported on, started a different thread about, yada yada yada, is not going to win you many friends here.

Hard shifting under acceleration...
https://www.f150forum.com/f6/my-f150...ration-443000/

Rough downshift....
https://www.f150forum.com/f6/rough-d...-valve-443379/

Face it dude... it needs rebuilt. No bottle of magic sauce to fix it.
Old 04-19-2019, 10:15 AM

Received 6,473 Likes on 4,610 Posts

And BTW, the trans doesn't get water in it from a tire "kicking up rain".
Old 04-21-2019, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by white89gt
And BTW, the trans doesn't get water in it from a tire "kicking up rain".
It does when the dipstick tube is rotted in half! I'm possitive water got in, im sorry for making more threads im just trying to rig it to work for now I have too many troubles with my health atm and an f350 im going to be restoring, im not selling it either
Old 04-24-2019, 10:32 AM

Can anyone offer anymore insight on this? Could it be a broken accumulator spring? I just drove it to get parts for my f350 i picked up and once it engages it runs good and if i neat on it on the highway it doesn't slip at all, I am not going to drive it anymore till i get it fixed, something isn't getting enough pressure when I put it in drive to engage it, that's why when I give it some gas it works then continues to even when I stop, is there any additive that could help? Pit lucus in but I can let out a quart then put something else if you guys reccomend it, i am lost because on my other f150 also an 01 when it wouldn't move foward and I gave it gas it slipped so bad it wouldn't move up the smallest incline, i changed the transmission on that one to say the least

Edit:and no its not my foward pump seal, if it were it drop out of gear at idle and once it engages it stays till i put it in neutral reverse or park

Last edited by Joesalerno91; 04-24-2019 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:11 PM

My bet is that your transmission is toast.
Old 04-27-2019, 12:06 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Sounds like that tranny's got to come out. Every item that works from pressure apply, is basically internal. Converter, pump, plates, cracked sun gear, and the list goes on. At 253k, it's gotten and given it's money's worth.
Old 04-28-2019, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by akdoggie
Sounds like that tranny's got to come out. Every item that works from pressure apply, is basically internal. Converter, pump, plates, cracked sun gear, and the list goes on. At 253k, it's gotten and given it's money's worth.
Thanks you all i can come up with is the accumulator piston and the epc sensor but read it be stuck in second (limp mode) and its not, im doing what work i can to restore my 01 f350 crew dually i just bought so putting the f150 off till fall, i do not think it's the sensors or accumulator im just saying only things I gathered from the forum that could cause it, what has me confused is it runs so good after engaging and didnt get any worse, before the problem I would hear a buzzing noise and a big pause before forward would engage, i have my c.e.l bulb out due to the light being on for converter software ill run the codes to check for a sensor code just incase, if no codes ill pull it in the fall or mid summer, is there any specific rebuild kit i should opt for? And should i rebuild or put used? The truck is only primarily used for atv riding i trailer my atv 53 miles with it almost every night in the summer and drive up many hills to get to my riding spot, do you guys think the f350 will be better driving and maybe I should sell the f150? I can't tell if the f350 is too big for driving around comfortable like the f150? Am I the only one that feels the f150 is more comfortable?
Old 05-18-2019, 11:45 AM

I know nobody will believe me but I knew my tranny was good! I knew something was stuck, put seafoam in it didn't even drive it just let it run and cool three times cycling the gears each time, shes fixed! The seafoam transmission tune worked! It contains only cleaners no seal eater, proved you guys wrong! I'm a mechanic and auto body tech and knew it and was right! It's got about a two seconds delay as before I had to rev it to 2000 rpms for around 7 seconds to engage first, after I drive it some Monday the delay will even be gone!

Quick Reply: Help my 01 f150 r470w wont move forward!