Topic Sponsor
1997 - 2003 Ford F150 General discussion on the Ford 1997 - 2003 F150 truck.

Hello from Northwest Indiana

Old 11-11-2018, 06:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Northwest Indiana

Just purchased my first Blue Oval F-150 truck in over 25 years. I have been building CJ, YJ,XJ,ZJ,TJ (Hard Core Rocks and Off-road classes), and lastly for my wife a JK. Working on selling my last ZJ build. So everything I have had over the last 25 years has been fab welded lifted. Always been a Blue Oval truck guy. I just purchased a 2003 F-150 Super Crew 2wd. I am currently replacing everything on the frontend. My thoughts are ( Pre-Runner running BFG KM2 33X12.50s with just 2 inch coils and extended knuckles) Any advice out there? .
Have A Blessed and Safe 2018 <><<
Old 11-11-2018, 07:06 AM

Received 486 Likes on 273 Posts

Just want to say welcome to the 10th gen. sub.- im not “up” on all the lifts/suspension mods, but be patient, there are a lot of good folks with a lot of useful knowledge on these old girls- they’ll chime in.
You and your family have a blessed Sunday, too!
Regards, Bear
Old 11-12-2018, 02:25 PM

Doing the front lift. I have removed all steering and suspension components. For starters I have a broken dipstick tube and rusted leaking transmission tubes. Why is it working on this 03 F-150 you have to take 10 steps for 1. Thinking I could just punch the broken tube into the oil pan and fish it out with a magnet. Wrong so going to remove the oil pan. starting with the motor mounts driver side not a problem. looking at the passenger side thinking removal of the starter for easer access. Right!!! top off-center starter bolt now that's a joke. but it gets better I have not great access to the passenger motor mount bolt. AND I CANT INPACT IT OUT. OK raising the engine with just the driver side bolt out NOW the passenger side center oil pan bolt do to the crossmember I can't get to it. (oh forgot that the passenger top post on the shock broke) which is ok I have new shocks with the lift. Bing a Christian man I have reached the point of almost cursing. Second guessing on going back to building jeeps. lol. I do like having a super crew truck. So how do you guys work on your trucks if it takes 10 steps to make 1 correction. Also the passenger manifold gasket needs replaced. but the nut/bolts don't resemble nuts do to being rusted. But I still purchased this truck cheep enough not getting hurt
Old 11-12-2018, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by dragordie
Doing the front lift. I have removed all steering and suspension components. For starters I have a broken dipstick tube and rusted leaking transmission tubes. Why is it working on this 03 F-150 you have to take 10 steps for 1. Thinking I could just punch the broken tube into the oil pan and fish it out with a magnet. Wrong so going to remove the oil pan. starting with the motor mounts driver side not a problem. looking at the passenger side thinking removal of the starter for easer access. Right!!! top off-center starter bolt now that's a joke. but it gets better I have not great access to the passenger motor mount bolt. AND I CANT INPACT IT OUT. OK raising the engine with just the driver side bolt out NOW the passenger side center oil pan bolt do to the crossmember I can't get to it. (oh forgot that the passenger top post on the shock broke) which is ok I have new shocks with the lift. Bing a Christian man I have reached the point of almost cursing. Second guessing on going back to building jeeps. lol. I do like having a super crew truck. So how do you guys work on your trucks if it takes 10 steps to make 1 correction. Also the passenger manifold gasket needs replaced. but the nut/bolts don't resemble nuts do to being rusted. But I still purchased this truck cheep enough not getting hurt
These trucks have their foibles for sure!- and they can be very particular about the parts you use-( example: always use motocraft pcv valves, and cops/ plugs)
Denso cops work as well- dont ask why, its just works better...
when you read the threads you will notice common themes.
But they are pretty reliable trucks- However, i dont know any vehicle that cant make the Pope cuss once in while!!
Old 11-15-2018, 04:17 PM

Can anyone tell me if the front knuckles and hub bearing from a 4X4 will bolt up to a 2WD upper and lower A Arms. Ball joints are the same. Wanting to keep OEM parts in lifting my 2WD
Old 11-20-2018, 06:48 AM

I would check out the Autozone ( or any parts store) web site(or 2) and type in both rwd and 4wd then compare part numbers (and prices).
Old 11-21-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The parts numbers are different for the knuckles, lower control arms, and upper controls arms for 2wds and 4wds. The parts numbers can be found here https://www.powerstrokeplus.com/v-19...ont-suspension. Looking at pictures they seem to look different as well.

4wd Knuckle

2wd Knuckle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Hello from Northwest Indiana